• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

CL: Arsenal vs Bayern Munich, 20/10/15, 7:45pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
I brought the Daily Mirror today. I can't say I was pleased. They give player ratings out of 10. Chelsea's total marks for the starting 11 was 73, for drawing 0-0 with Dynamo Kiev. Arsenal's, 69. For beating Bayern ****ing Munich. First word I saw on the back page was luck. I'll grant them, Giroud's goal wasn't pretty. I'll also say that if that goal had been scored by a Jose Mourinho team, it would most definitely not have been called luck. Santi Cazorla was given 5 out of 10, not one Chav got below six. Monreal was given the same mark as Lewandoski. Quite what they're problem is, I don't know but the media seems to struggle to give us due praise.

Nyctophobia

Established Member
I brought the Daily Mirror today. I can't say I was pleased. They give player ratings out of 10. Chelsea's total marks for the starting 11 was 73, for drawing 0-0 with Dynamo Kiev. Arsenal's, 69. For beating Bayern ****ing Munich. First word I saw on the back page was luck. I'll grant them, Giroud's goal wasn't pretty. I'll also say that if that goal had been scored by a Jose Mourinho team, it would most definitely not have been called luck. Santi Cazorla was given 5 out of 10, not one Chav got below six. Monreal was given the same mark as Lewandoski. Quite what they're problem is, I don't know but the media seems to struggle to give us due praise.
I swear there was this; what's it called, agenda? Or something regarding Chelsea.

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
Bayern only impressed me early on in the match wen we tried to press them. Their positional play to escape from the pressing was very very good. Used to full width very well, good movement.

Thereafter when we sunk in more, they were disappointing. The only thing they did well was immdiately put on a well organised pressing after they lost the ball. Apart from that they created little, even if we offered them good chances after losing the ball stupidly (Alexis was guilty a few times). Lewandowski was pretty useless v our well organised deep defence. Mueller was wasted wide. Only Costa was a real threat.

We played very well tactically to make them look this bad.

Fallout

honestly i was not overly impressed with bayern. their dominance was a byproduct of the tactical decisions from both sides. in the final third, their game plan was basic: have a deep-lying playmaker ping the ball wide and cross it. they didnt really attempt to break us down from central areas. luckily our back line was able to deal with that kind of wide play.

the one period of the game that worried me was minutes 55 to 75. i felt some of our players were beginning to doubt themselves or get frustrated. giroud couldnt have picked a better time to score; his goal restored a lot of confidence in the team and made the last 15 minutes much easier psychologically.

overall, i dont rate pep's tactics that much. yes he has amazing ball retention and organization, but there's nothing extremely remarkable about his team in the final third, and he's open to getting countered.

scoring first will be crucial in the return leg. it's going to be another 50-50 game again ... if they go 1-0 up, we will have to come out of our shell a little bit and it could turn out badly.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Not sure about Vidal, doesn't come across as a Guardiola type of player, his work rate aside. They did seem to be lacking something offensively, it was basically Lewandowski all on his own, Costa was decent too. Apart from that Muller, Thiago and Vidal offered nothing offensively really.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me

Take it as a lesson learned, never ever buy The Mirror again!

Jazz

Wasn't able to see the game but this result will give us the confidence to go to Munich now and get something. That's the thing though, we now need 7 points out of 9. Coming just short would suck not only because the first 2 results will look even more stupid but because we'll finish 3rd and we can't let that happen. So basically COYG, get those 7 points now!

Le Professeur

Established Member
Yup, kudos to Per. Was worried about him vs Costa/Lewa, but he did a very good job after that first minute scare.

Well done.

And good thing we can bring in Gabriel for playing a higher line.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
This was a masterclass performance by Arsenal. Afuckingtactical masterclass.

Anyone thinking this was luck needs their head examined.

The same team did it to City in January and then to Bayern last night. We also did the same thing to Utd. a few weeks ago but the shellacking that we put on Utd. in the first 20 mins distracts people from seeing that we are comfortable sitting back, deep against certain teams in the knowledge that we can punish them on the counter & that we can defend in a low block for a long time. (It's nervous to watch but this partiucular Arsenal team has used this tactic MANY times over the last 12 months)

Nyctophobia

Established Member
Those Bayern fans are truly awfully arrogant, even after losing.

It's frankly embarrassing behaviour, though I think most of those might be blow up fans if you get what I mean, figure there's a group of humble supporters for them as well, or maybe they all truly look down on us and the ticket price protest was more of a pity thing than anything else. :D

Who knows?

SuperGoon

Debbie Downer

Player:Saka
Winning breeds arrogance. Even our own players are guilty of that.

But yeah, Man United were worse a few years ago. Chelsea were complete ****s until recently. Barca and Real are complete ****s in every way possible. Arsenal fans are currently humble because we've spent the last part of a decade choking in big games. Winning is a relief.

And losing keeps people humble. We've spent a very long time as a club that's unsuccessful,. So we're not terrible yet. Maybe during the FA cup we'll show some of that, trololololol.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
Dont know where to ask this, so let's stick it here;
Anyone knows; what kind of a punishment could we see for Dinamo's player failing that drug test? Apparently decision will be on 27th, no idea what to expect

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
Dont know where to ask this, so let's stick it here;
Anyone knows; what kind of a punishment could we see for Dinamo's player failing that drug test? Apparently decision will be on 27th, no idea what to expect

Probably a fine and suspension for the player. I've never seen a team get points deducted, matches replayed or whatsoever. So I'm not expecting anything that could help us in this group.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Just to clarify a point:

If we end up level in points with Olympiacos after all matches are played, in order to win qualification we will have had to beat them in Greece by a 2 goal margin. So, 2-o, 3-1... etc.

Am I right?

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
A 3-2 win would do to if we'ld have a better total goal difference (in all group matches played).
That would be make us dependent on the goal diff of Olympiakos, and I'd rather not leave things to chance.

Anyway... just as long as we don't end up in the europa league. Pleeeaaaaasse. Do not want Thursday matches.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Winning breeds arrogance. Even our own players are guilty of that.

But yeah, Man United were worse a few years ago. Chelsea were complete ****s until recently. Barca and Real are complete ****s in every way possible. Arsenal fans are currently humble because we've spent the last part of a decade choking in big games. Winning is a relief.

And losing keeps people humble. We've spent a very long time as a club that's unsuccessful,. So we're not terrible yet. Maybe during the FA cup we'll show some of that, trololololol.
Whats Liverpool excuse lol

Talksport had a good discussion on the Europa yesterday. I must be the only one thinking it helps us. In the run in we will need the Ox, Wilshere, Welbeck, Gabriel, Chambers we might even need Arteta and Flamini. Outside of the league cup those boys are getting 10 or 15 minutes at best every now and again. Europa is good to keep them ticking over in a competitive environment. Also if your English then for the Euros as well ie Ox Wilshere and Welbeck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I play on the right, Tony on the left and we'll deal with whoever comes along, big or small

Martin Keown

Latest posts

Top Bottom