• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

CL: Barcelona vs Arsenal | 17/05/06

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
No probs.

Programmes. Someone just mailed me this link. I know absolutely nothing about them and have never dealt with them so it's up to you.

http://www.pplsport.com/events.asp?evnt ... =4&refid=1

I ended up with an extra t-shirt for my mate who never got a ticket despite going to virtually every other away in Europe. Didn't nick it off a seat though, it was still in it's bag and somone threw it (vaguely) at the pitch after the games. I was in the fifth row and it virtually landed in my arms.

Allyboy

Established Member
Apparently, if like me, you did not get a T-Shirt because you were in an area which they ran out, if you post your ticket to the club they will send you one.

Whether you get your ticket back or not im unsure.....

Jackus

ExiledInNewcastle said:
No probs.

Programmes. Someone just mailed me this link. I know absolutely nothing about them and have never dealt with them so it's up to you.

http://www.pplsport.com/events.asp?evnt ... =4&refid=1

I ended up with an extra t-shirt for my mate who never got a ticket despite going to virtually every other away in Europe. Didn't nick it off a seat though, it was still in it's bag and somone threw it (vaguely) at the pitch after the games. I was in the fifth row and it virtually landed in my arms.

How did you mate go to virtually every other away, but not have enough away credits to get a ticket through the club? That is presuming he is a silver member, and an away scheme member.. or did he travel without a ticket to all the away games, and get one off of a tout?

Just interested. Thanks.

Iniesta

Lord Dula said:
Iniesta said:
politics and the Catalan identity is just part of Barcelona.
with all respect, but i think our history is one of the strongest in the world i think.

But that could be a good reason why we don't take everything that lightly about our club.

Guess you must be jealous of Real Madrid then cos they are a bigger club with a more illustrious history.

i think you're not really getting what i mean. But i can't expect everybody to know Barca's history. But believe me Barca history is way harder and bigger than Madrid.

I'm guessing you meant with history as in throphy's. And i don't. jealous at madRIP? never. I'm still a Barca fn you know.

Iniesta

jgunner84 said:
All right so the mudslinging and heated arguments are still going on.
Give me a break!!
excuse me but if you meant for me, i don't think said one bad word about Arsenal in al my posts here...

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Iniesta said:
jgunner84 said:
All right so the mudslinging and heated arguments are still going on.
Give me a break!!
excuse me but if you meant for me, i don't think said one bad word about Arsenal in al my posts here...

:) No you haven't said anything bad , he was talking in general.

Iniesta

great, cause actually i enjoy myself here. Talking with opposition gives yourself another point of view, and that very interesting. Because were all fans, and staying objective about your club is not always easy, as we all know :D

Meatwad

ibr80 said:
Second- I want to make this perfectly clear Henry is a beast, I love him. but he could only dream to have acomplished what Etoo has already at this age. It's a fact.
dream? haha that's funny. the only winner's medal missing from thierry's cv is the champions league. he has everything else. when eto'o is the leading scorer on world cup and euro winning sides then thierry can start dreaming about how he's missing the one thing that eto'o has that he doesn't.

nazo

Established Member
ibr80 said:
Second- I want to make this perfectly clear Henry is a beast, I love him. but he could only dream to have acomplished what Etoo has already at this age. It's a fact.

Henry eats your facts for breakfast.
Henry doesn't even have to try his best to get as much goals Etoo has scored this season.

Henry is and will always be a better player than Etoo. It's a fact.

Iniesta

bluenaz said:
ibr80 said:

Henry eats your facts for breakfast.
Henry doesn't even have to try his best to get as much goals Etoo has scored this season.

Henry is and will always be a better player than Etoo. It's a fact.
i'm not sure, don't forget Eto'o has still his best years to come, he's only 25-26 years old. But Henry is of course an outstanding player.

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
Iniesta - I think it would help if you briefly explained the political/regional heart of the club because a lot of people think you're just a club and have probably never even heard of Franco or the oppression of Catalans.

fuzz

Eboue's free kick was temporary advantage for us. The goal that eventually occured was defendable and barca simply didn't defend it. It was not a 'given' goal we had to score it barca were too poor to defend it. Players make meals of tackles these days (not that eboue's wasn't a foul), but free kicks don't mean a goal will be conceided and more importantly it is not something that cannot be rectified over the space of 90 minutes. It's a similar situation with offside decisions as well.

However going down to ten men is a PERMANANT handicap that cannot be rectified over the course of 90 minures. In all sports there are moments in which the adavantage leans toward one competitor over the other, but if for instance, a tennis player were forced to play the remaining sets of a match with one hand tied behind his back, he'd probably loose, even if he was in a leading position already and that's what happened on wednesday.

Iniesta

ExiledInNewcastle said:
Iniesta - I think it would help if you briefly explained the political/regional heart of the club because a lot of people think you're just a club and have probably never even heard of Franco or the oppression of Catalans.
if you want to i want to try to explain it briefly, but it start almost in the roman empire...
As brief as possible. hard job :D
Well lets begin with history then. Catalunya has always had it's own specific charcter. It never really changed when other landlords came along. I'm speaking now of Roman, Ottmans (i don't know if you know this term...)... It has it's own language for decades and much longer: Catalan
In 1899 Joan Gamper founded the club FC Barcelona. It all started small of course. Gamper chose the Bazel colors as the colors of FC Barcelona. From the beginning Barcelona attended football from the first line, as the won trophys in 1901.
For a long time the club grew and got bigger. (as all clubs do...)
In 1936: Spanish civil war. Franco took control. Franco was a social nationalist. A friend of Hitler and Mussolini. Now as the word says nationalist, it meant nationalist. Catalan was forbidden, al Catalan flags and symbols were forbidden. Everything that meant Catalan was simply forbidden. (Keep in mind that the same thing happened to the Basks!). Now Catalans never were the big fighters, but still they wanted to resist, but in not violent way (here you can see the difference with the Basks). Nothing was left, except the football team. Franco couldn't just close it down, as it had already a little bit of a name. So he changed the name in Barcelona CF (see FC Barcelona is very English! Football club Barcelona), he changed our batch (there is a Catalan flag in it, it became a Spanish one).
Still people were speaking Catalan in the stadium, and lots of artist an writers came to the stadium to speak Catalan, toexchange papers. Even more, the famous Barcelona penya's (these are fan clubs, but they want to promote more than just the club, more than just the football) grew and Catalan was often spoken there. In these penya's people discussed about politics, about the repressor,... not only about footbal. They were talking about Catalan nationality.
Franco couldn't take that of course. So he acted. When the team was making a tour in the USA, his soldiers murdered the complete board.
The club was dying now, as was Catalan nationality.
But still we fought back, and again in not violent way, with football. Now comes the history of Di Stefano. Most of you know him as a madRIP hero. Well here this out. Barcelona bought Di Stefano from his previous club. Everything was signed and done. madRIP had bought him to, it seemed. They had signed a contract with the club where Di Stefano was on loan.
Franco sended Di Stefano towards madRIP, and Barcelona lost their money and one of the best players in the world at that time. (you can see the rivalery growing? First Franco frow madRIP, now this..)
Once Franco was gone, lots of Catalans where really exhausted and poor, because of the mis treatment of Franco.

in 70 Cruyff came along. and we where stars again. We were again a topclub.
We had Romario, Maradona, Ronaldo,....
Lots of topclass players passed Barcelona
in the 90 Cruyff as trainer. Again top years for us: 4 times in a row La Liga champions.
and in short were here now.

Mes que un club. More than a club. It's hard to explain. And you can explain it in many ways. A win of Barcelona over madRIP is a victory for Catalan nationality, and only in second place a win of the football team. Mes que un club is about gathering people togheter around sport (not just football, but also baskball, handball, hockey, cyclism, swimming, running,... lots of sports are preacticed in FCB), in a good sphere, friendly, but still pasionate. People coming together to adore their idols, but also to meet other fan and enjoying themselfs.

All these things are one of the reasons why Barcelona doesn't have a shirtsponser, although we could benefit.
and to end with a little fact on which i'm very proud: Barcelona has reached an agreement with the UN for a donation of 0.7% of all their income on a yearly bases. (about 2 000 000 euro's)

So i hope i convinced you. Come and get you're socop badge :D
just kidding.

nazo

Established Member
Iniesta said:
oops much longer than i expected...

It's ok, that was actually helpful. Thanks for taking the time in writing this for us and explaining more about your club. :)

Iniesta

bluenaz said:
Iniesta said:

It's ok, that was actually helpful. Thanks for taking the time in writing this for us and explaining more about your club. :)
it is not even the half of what is should be. But i think that not al Arsenal fans are that enthousiatic as i am about Barcelona...

famous no 10

Established Member
Iniesta said:

Very interesting, thanks...I believe the Catalan area has a problem with the "green" issue, as opposed to most of the rest of Europe.

Maybe, straying away from football a tad too much....

Iniesta

famous no 10 said:
Iniesta said:

Very interesting, thanks...I believe the Catalan area has a problem with the "green" issue, as opposed to most of the rest of Europe.

Maybe, straying away from football a tad too much....
sorry but i didn't get that completly. (english not that good :( )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

One of the things I discovered in Japan was from watching sumo wrestling. At the end you can never tell who has won the fight, and who has lost, because they do not show their emotion because it could embarrass the loser. It is unbelievable. That is why I try to teach my team politeness. It is only here in England that everybody pokes their tongue out when they win.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom