• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

FR: Burgenland XI vs Arsenal | 28/07/08

stiiphunn

Established Member
Re: Burgenland XI v Arsenal | 28-07-08 17:30

Double_H said:
i dont know why ...but Wilshere reminds me of messi
A little bit, yes. They both have great balance and a good technique. They don't have useless skills like Ronaldo, they just beat players with their balance and good touch. They both keep the ball close to their feet so it's very hard to take the ball away from them.

scruzgooner

stiiphunn said:
Double_H said:
i dont know why ...but Wilshere reminds me of messi
A little bit, yes. They both have great balance and a good technique. They don't have useless skills like Ronaldo, they just beat players with their balance and good touch. They both keep the ball close to their feet so it's very hard to take the ball away from them.
messi always seems to be able to bounce off people and keep both balance and the ball. i'd be impressed, once seeing Wilshere against real epl players, if he can do the same. the boy is silk, though...finely wrought, smooth, and strong.

raidersoftheark

Established Member

Rohit said:
What us? Did you watch the youth tournament last season where we reached the finals and Lansbury won player of the tournament. What do you mean by hunger? Just because Lansbury wasn't running around the ground like a man possessed in his appearances so far, doesn't mean he has no hunger. What 17 year old apart from Jack Wilshere is making strides or showing quality enough that suggests he can be part of the first team albeit against less than mediocre opposition?

It is funny how we all cry and whine for experience in our first team and then write off 17 year olds on baseless assessments.

Ok, so Lansbury won player of the tourney. And? That don't justify a ho-hum performance against a team of nobodies from Austria (which has to be the worst team we've face in eons). Yeah, he'll certainly improve (this is why I am not writing him off), but based on his past few matches, he doesn't look good enough for this next season, and that is ultimately what is significant. Especially when Rasmey, Vela, Wilshere, Coquelin, Barazite, Denilson have all looked much better than him and are all around a similar age.

As for your last comment, I'm fairly certain you're not making any sense. We do want experience and quality in our first team. Not highly inconsistent teenage kids which struggle to do simple things correctly against Land of XI Burgers.

Gazza Martinez

Established Member

All the first and second half highlights available at 101greatgoals.com

Against this kind of opposition, you can't really look at the amount of goals scored to judge players, but look at subtle things the players do, their technique, their movements. In that regard, there were some technically good finishes from Bendtner and Vela, albeit aided by some questionable goalkeeping. There was also good intelligence from the likes of Wilshere and Ramsey in midfield.

Wilshere and Ramsey make me very excited to watch our Carling Cup run this season.

RockyRocastle

Established Member

What a farce of a game that was! Enjoyable though.

Really excited about Wilshere, he looks to have so much potential. There is something of the Messi about him, although obviously not that good.

Ramsey looks a class act aswell, I think he will grow into a top player.

Saying all this though we were playing a pub team.

After all this hype around Barazite aswell it is interesting that Arsène has left him behind and taken Simpson, he looks way short of the required standard. As does Randall. Harsh to write Lansbuy off as he was played out of position.

And eight Englishmen on the pitch at the final whistle, which was very good to see.

bigtimetopbanana

Eight Englishman on the pitch. Thanks for spotting that Rocky...... and I see that we agree on player avatars.

MightyArsenal

Barazite was not with the first team because hes gonna be loaned to the spanish feeder club we have. Otherwise hed be there instead of the likes of randall (Awful player, bit of a prick too).

ricky1985

Established Member

RockyRocastle said:
What a farce of a game that was! Enjoyable though.

Really excited about Wilshere, he looks to have so much potential. There is something of the Messi about him, although obviously not that good.

Ramsey looks a class act aswell, I think he will grow into a top player.

Saying all this though we were playing a pub team.

After all this hype around Barazite aswell it is interesting that Arsène has left him behind and taken Simpson, he looks way short of the required standard. As does Randall. Harsh to write Lansbuy off as he was played out of position.

And eight Englishmen on the pitch at the final whistle, which was very good to see.

Why obviously not as good?

I would have said that a few months back, but I have scrutinised him in these three games or so, and he is amazing (I know you wasnt saying he wasnt). He has technical ability that only Fabregas and Van Persie could match from our current squad.

My point is; why cant Jack Wilshere go on to become every bit as good as Lionel Messi?

Lukazan

Established Member

Shall we not wait until Wilshere plays a league game for us, or even just a game against decent opposition before we go asking ourselves such outrageous questions?

number_0

Established Member

GaelForce22 said:
scruzgooner said:
ah, gael, i would never joke. about a scoreline. today.

10-2, nik with 4, vela 3, Wilshere 2, theo 1, and berglund XI 2.

fun. and you're right, they were s***e again.

:lol:
How did I watch the last pre-season game and miss this one!

I thought that after the snore-fest last week, watching the dark night would be a better way to spend the afternoon. Looks like I was so wrong.

HAHA, i also opted on watching the dark knight at the time, what a ****ing waste of time.

tam1886

Established Member

raidersoftheark said:
I don't think anyone is quite writing him off just yet, but they have not shown the required hunger and talent to Wenger and to us, that demonstrates that they are capable of having any part in the upcoming season. We are Arsenal, and it is fair for us to demand these things from 17-19 year olds, because players of this age are already making strides at this club to play in the prem, the FA and the CC.
raidersoftheark said:
Ok, so Lansbury won player of the tourney. And? That don't justify a ho-hum performance against a team of nobodies from Austria (which has to be the worst team we've face in eons). Yeah, he'll certainly improve (this is why I am not writing him off), but based on his past few matches, he doesn't look good enough for this next season, and that is ultimately what is significant. Especially when Rasmey, Vela, Wilshere, Coquelin, Barazite, Denilson have all looked much better than him and are all around a similar age.
I can't agree with either of those bolded parts. How can you demand such things from a 17 year old? I've said this before, but we can't let the success we've had from the likes of Fabregas cloud our judgement of other players. Each player is an individual, and they won't all mature as players or even men at the same stage or rate. I think to expect such things is so misguided and just asking for trouble. We have a very promising youth policy, but you need to let it run it's course naturally, and kind of like fruit, pick the players and play them when they are ready.

After that Fulham game, I said to give Song time to progress. I, along with some others, pointed out that too many people put too much pressure on youngsters because that has become the norm for us. We look to the next batch through the academy to produce a talent worthy of slotting into the team, but that talented player just may not be ready at that time. A player could have all the technical ability in the world, but he may be ultimately useless unless his mental or physical abilities are at a similar level. A couple of years on, Song has matured as a player and looks far better than he did back then. He looks to have a wiser head on his shoulders, and has learned a lot in that time. He should act as the perfect example as to why we shouldn't be placing that kind of pressure or weight of expectation on these young players we have seen tonight. Lansbury may not make it, Song may not even make it despite what looks like a big stride in his development, but to write them off at this age because we have seen better or faster development of others at this stage and because they can't offer us immediate impact is just plain ridiculous. The whole point of Wenger developing these youth players is to build for the future and give us a solid base from which we can introduce these talented young players to the team when they are ready, it's not for chery picking the best of the talent to put into the team when they show the first glimmer ability.

Every now and then you get that special something which allows a player to hit the ground running from an early age. Fabregas had it and Wilshere looks like he may have it, but these players are the exception. I still think Wilshere looks too physically fragile to be ready for anything near first team duties, but having seen him play I'd probably have no doubts about his technical or mental ability. Maybe in a year or two if he grows a bit he could be ready to join that special group. However, despite the luck we've had, there is no way we should be expecting anything other than to progress as well as they can from these players. Demanding performances and improvements from such young players will only add pressure which could be more harmful in the long run. I doubt many of them will make it, as traditionally most don't, but there is too much talent for all of them to go wrong somewhere. It's just a case of persevering with it until it becomes plainly obvious that the drive or mentality is lacking. To give up on them before we reach this point would be downright stupid in my opinion, and for anyone to suggest at this stage in their careers that the likes of Randall, Lansbury or Baby Hoyte won't cut it here is nonsense as well.

tam1886

Established Member

Lukazan said:
Shall we not wait until Wilshere plays a league game for us, or even just a game against decent opposition before we go asking ourselves such outrageous questions?
He does look like an outstanding prospect, but I agree. I still think he looks too lightweight, and that could show him up against better opposition. But to me that is his biggest barrier right now. Technically he is obviously amazing for his age, and I was very impressed by what I seen of his mentality tonight, and from what I've read others say about it.

I'm not having a dig, but he just doesn't look like and English player. He is so comfortable and composed on the ball, and you just don't see that in the English NT. His level of passing is far superior to his age group, and he really does play like he is a few years older. If he wasn't so younhg looking you'd hardly notice the difference. I'm very much looking forward to seeing more of him, and I think we will. I won't be too surprised if he makes a few benches this year, although I won't be holding my breath. He's still got a long way to go, but he looks to have it well within his grasp.

GaelForce22

Established Member

number_0 said:
GaelForce22 said:
scruzgooner said:
ah, gael, i would never joke. about a scoreline. today.

10-2, nik with 4, vela 3, Wilshere 2, theo 1, and berglund XI 2.

fun. and you're right, they were s***e again.

:lol:
How did I watch the last pre-season game and miss this one!

I thought that after the snore-fest last week, watching the dark knight would be a better way to spend the afternoon. Looks like I was so wrong.

HAHA, i also opted on watching the dark knight at the time, what a f****g waste of time.

You're kidding me, surely. I'd have preferred to see Arsenal knock in 10 but the dark knight was great!

ricky1985

Established Member

Lukazan said:

Maybe so, but all I am saying is why cant Jack Wilshere go on to be as good if not better than Messi?

You could have said the same for Messi, I am sure there were some who said; he reminds me of Maradona but obviously not as good, well those people would be wrong, because Messi is incredible perhaps even better than Maradona (dont want to get into that debate BTW).

All I am saying is just because he has come through our academy and is a local lad, and it seems too good to be true, it doesnt mean it is. He could go on to surpass those players who knows (I am not saying he will). I am just saying he has the talent to be anything he wants.

Kenyonhater

All those slating Lansbury and writing him off based on his showings in this pre-season should lay off and give the guy a break. He's just come back from glandular fever which is a horrible illness which weakens the immune system and saps all your energy - I should know ,I had it at 22, which was bad enough, let alone at 17 when your body is growing so much. The virus stays in your system long after the worst effects of the fever disappear. It took me about a year to get my strength back and I was super-fit when it struck me down.

So cut Henri a bit of slack. If you want to see what he's capable of watch the highlights of the Youth Cup game against Burnley last January when he scored a great hat-trick. Ironically he was just about to come down with the illness at the time. Lansbury has the talent to be a real Arsenal and England star of the future but we need to be patient with him because he's had a serious physical knock-back which will take a while to fully recover from.

Regarding Randall, I have to say I agree with most of the comments on here. He has talent but he always seems to want too much time on the ball and constantly goes for the "Hollywood" pass. He has a languid and flashy style - a bit Bentley-esque - but he needs a lot more drive and urgency in his play. Needs to bulk up physically, too. AW seems to like him, though.

kamikaze80

Established Member

seb larsson was better than randall. randall's just not that good, the sooner everyone realises it, the better. we're just grooming him so we can sell him for 1m or so and make a little profit.

glad to see that wilshere had another good match. i'm really loving this kid, he's got what it takes to make it here.

gunner_down_under

Just seen the highlights. Vela's finishing is classy, very Eduardo-esque, but I think the defending in the EPL would be just a tad better than Burgerking XI.

Cant wait for this Wilshere kid to grow up, if he keeps working on his technique and adds more bulk, we have a ****ing world-beater on our hands! He could have a brilliant season with us when he's ready in a couple years time and then **** off to Barca after that, by which time we would be scouting his son (presuming an early marriage for the lad).

Arsenal Quotes

It works. I am just waiting until everyone has copied it, then I shall come up with something new.

Herbert Chapman on the famous WM formation

Latest posts

Top Bottom