• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

FR: Lazio vs Arsenal | 02/08/07

Unkmengani

I know it's only a friendly an all, but let's have a 0-0 so we can win this and make it a double.

Hmm....has a nice ring to it.

sam961gunners

Not a bad performance, but we didn't really get the slick passing going. I am quite pleased with Eduardo, ok he was at fault for conceaded goal but apart from that he was really good. Drifted out wide, was always looking to get involved and still managed to get into the box when needed. Didn't think Walcott was as bad as some of you are making out. He made a few good runs and won us many freekicks in dangerous areas. He still doesn't look too confident on the ball but i think that is improving, i don't think Hoyte supported him very well either. Eboue or Sagna would have made more overlapping runs which would open up more space for him to burst into. I also think Traore would have been better off playing left midfield, Clichy is better defensively and although he worked his socks off, he is much more comfortable at left-back. Match ratings:
Almunia-6
Hoyte-6
Djourou-6
Senderos-6
Traore-6
Walcott-7
Fabregas-6
Song-6
Clichy-7
Eduardo-8
Bendtner-7

Rosicky-6
Flamini-5
v.Persie-6
Eboue-5

Lancelot

Established Member
clockwork orange said:
Lancelot said:
illmatik said:
Are you for real? That's the typical anti-Song talk everyone is used to. He had a good game today
I agree with you that Song had a decent game today; get involved in a lot of interceptions and didn't seem to make a mistake out of a simple pass. However, he did slow our attacking movement down a bit whenever he got the ball; it appears to me that his decision-making attribute needs further development. Once he has the ability to switch defense into attack swiftly, he could be a very good asset to us.
Actually he did once, nearly cost us a goal.
Whoops! :eek:ops: Please excuse my memory though, clockwork; I'm not sure how that escaped my attention. Obviously, that was quite a big mistake on my side. Apologies for being misinformed, I should have been more thorough about the game especially the moment that could have cost us the goal.

Cheers. :)

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
Lancelot said:
clockwork orange said:
Lancelot said:
illmatik said:
Are you for real? That's the typical anti-Song talk everyone is used to. He had a good game today
I agree with you that Song had a decent game today; get involved in a lot of interceptions and didn't seem to make a mistake out of a simple pass. However, he did slow our attacking movement down a bit whenever he got the ball; it appears to me that his decision-making attribute needs further development. Once he has the ability to switch defense into attack swiftly, he could be a very good asset to us.
Actually he did once, nearly cost us a goal.
Whoops! :eek:ops: Please excuse my memory though, clockwork; I'm not sure how that escaped my attention. Obviously, that was quite a big mistake on my side. Apologies for being misinformed, I should have been more thorough about the game especially the moment that could have cost us the goal.

Cheers. :)
You apologise like you killed someone. No need for that, everybody misses things in matches.

Was a situation with lots of our players ahead of the ball, you can't loose the ball in a situation like that. It's how teams playing a passing game like us, loose v counterattacks.

It was too obvious he was going to square the ball. A Lazio player read it well and intercepted. It'sa cardinal sin to loose a ball in that situation.

Apart from that Song did pretty well.

belgianfan

If cesc had an ok game, than song had a good game.

Song's job isn't to create attacks or give the finall bal, he's a dm

while fabregas did nothing wrong but we do however expect him to contribute in offence. So he dissapointed me, I am sure he will get back to his best.

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Song did very well in the firs 30 minutes. Afterwards, he faded as the game went on. I found that, once the opposition passed the ball beyond Song and he turned around and chased, Song didn't know which was the best position to both recover the ball and protect the back four. But I still give him credit for his performance in the first half.

I don't think Cesc had a good game, not even an average game. It's Clichy that made the team look massive. TBH Lazio looked like a promotion team in the first 20 minutes,due credit to Song, Clichy, and Traore.

However, I am not convinced by how other players linked up with Rosicky. I observed that Rosicky didn't get a decent ball nearly 10 minutes even the midfield/defense successfully recovered the possession. Eboue didn't have the same impact as he had against Inter. Yet that's within many others' prediction as Lazio defense got organised and not received too many cautions.

YourFriendPaul

I can't help but feel compelled to point out here, that ManU lost 3 -2 to Internazionale...

Essentially, I belive everyone is 'right' in their analysis. There are some worrying things to take away from this match (and this pre-season in general), but there are some promising things as well. Less of the former, than the latter in my mind-but then, I could just be wearing red-current coloured glasses.

Regardless: the fact that we're hammering out 2 - 1's, when we could easily be losing or drawing, can't be seen as too much of a good thing, but you can't discount it either. It's a big deal- this whole 'winning even when you play poorly' thing, as we all know from previous seasons.

So yeah, it's all relative.

(but now you can go ahead and count me in the 'if we don't sign a proper winger soon, I'll sh*t bricks' camp...)

Webdesignlab

Established Member
AFCFan4Ever said:
illmatik said:

Yeah I'm for real. He was decent in the first half but terrible in the 2nd half...he just isn't consistent enough or doesn't add anything to our side IMO.

Seriously, what does he add that we don't already have?

Song is a journeyman. not good enough for Arsenal. What do you want to discuss?

Webdesignlab

Established Member
I suppose I should say something postive after that.

Rosicky looked good ... scared to commit but good. At least he is not injured.
Eduardo is really improving in his stature. Might be the man we all want him to be.
Clichy was ok enough.
Traore ... ok.
Almunia was good, ok lost the cross but Eduardo and the defence were heavily at fault.

Left wing never looked threatening Clichy is a LB as we all know, he has more space there to start his runs which really are fast.

Right neither. Walcott? God I want to like him, but ... just seems never to improve. Fast though. Huge spaces on the right (attacking) as usual when a cross was missed in the box.

thegame24

Established Member
boring game for me.

Good that we can beat lazio with a second team though.

Would like further additions cause the side looks a bit lost without some of the star players.

Traore impressed me most in that game.

Legend#1

Established Member
Sneijder's shooting ability is just wow.

Concerning our game.

Defensively poor.

Played too high up.

Edu was great.

We won with a 2nd string.

Good workout.

Nothing to cry about.

illmatik

Established Member
Legend#1 said:
Sneijder's shooting ability is just wow.

Concerning our game.

Defensively poor.

Played too high up.

Edu was great.

We won with a 2nd string.

Good workout.

Nothing to cry about.

Summed up all my feelings, short and sweet

nidza7

Established Member
Song did decent today.I think Wenger should encourage him to make few runs and pass more balls forward rather then returning to CBs constantly.

and he needs to get quicker,he does look lazy.

Alfonso

Established Member
Song had a purple patch in the game in which he looked quite good and was all over the pitch as well as being positive and lively. That was prob the best I have seen him play as an Arsenal player.

Dudu looks good and has great off the ball movement, but he is not as fast as I thought he would be. So much of an improvement from the lethargic and static Henry of last season. I think Dudu's movement, positive attidude and work rate will do us a world of good this season.

I was impressed with Bendtner, he played an intelligent game and his work rate was good and he has got a good 'footballing brain'. Unfortunately I cant say the same thing about Walcott, I know its only a pre season game but Walcott has played in a 'cautious and conservative' style for a while now on the wing and there seems to be no signs of improvement. He looks to be a little insecure as a player at the moment, hopefully its just teething problems but sooner or later we will want to see why there was so much hype about him and his 'wonderkid' status.

Were one signing away from a very good team. Couldnt beleive Dudu was the oldest outfield player at the age of 24! Our starting midfield's average age must have been 20!

Arsenal Quotes

The English codified the rules of football just as the French perfected wine. We don't often ask an English person to come over to make Bordeaux.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom