• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

FR: Lazio vs Arsenal | 02/08/07

IBL

Established Member
sabret00the said:
Same with Traore, i want the kid to succeed but nothing he tried came off.
apart from the saving block tackle, the several clean tackles on the wing, the late run where it took the third defender to stop him, the outrageous piece of skill where he duped one player, then back-dragged the other and got fouled by the third after cutting inside him, some smart link up play early on

promising prospect in imo, just needs to ditch that Sheringham dumping, waster of a bird before she ruins him

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
to be fair to Lazio in this game, arent they much earlier in their pre-season than we are? doesnt the Italian league actually start after ours? or is that just Spain?

Pepe LeFrits

Established Member
Legend summed it up well.

I thought Song did pretty well too. If he remained at his current level for the rest of his career he would be nothing more than a 'journeyman' as someone mentioned, but he is still a kid and won't remain at his current level.

Bendtner impressed me a bit, his touch was quite poor but everything else about his game was good today. Smart finish, worked hard, good movement, good link-up play. I think his touch will improve with games, he is just rusty. Any time I saw him play for Brum last season, his touch was much, much better.

run

Lazio season starts at the end of August but, like us, they play a Champions League qualifier 12 or 13 days from now. They can't be too flat if they hope to advance.

As for our performance, I'm more than willing to be patient with individual players...Walcott, Senderos etc...but man we were hard to watch at times today. And incredibly shaky at the back.

Oh well, it is hard to be displeased when you beat a quality side with your reserves and when both your back-up strikers find the net.

IBL

Established Member
A few brief observations::
Walcott - offered absolutely nothing
Bendtner - good poachers goal and positive play all round
Eduardo - intelligent positioning, deceptively strong, quick and well balanced, looks very promising
Senderos - appears to have lost some weight and is more spry
Song - very impressive early on, did a Gilberto role effectively
Djourou - needs to more assured and dominating, loses concentration easily and gets casual

overall a good run-out with some promising individual performances, good to see our two strikers score with very few chances between them. Main concern was defence, ragged and in dissarray at times and still struggling with high balls and set pieces

run

Oh, and it occurred to me today, watching Song look average (not poor mind you) and Senderos and Djourou flounder at the back, that while Arsène certainly deserves his reputation as a ruthless manager when it comes to senior players (Freddie, Viera, etc., etc.) he can be incredibly indulgent with youngsters.

I think most coaches would have jettisoned some of these guys by now, but Wenger always gives them a chance. In the long run that is a good thing but clearly some of these guys (Song, Flamini, Hoyte) will never be good enough to make our first XI.

IBL

Established Member
^ if those three are true to themselves they would have realised by now its very unlikely that they'll be forching their way into the starting eleven, as squad players they're all sufficient enough to do a job when asked. As squad players I'm happy with them. Song and Flamin will be behind 4 midfielders, Hoyte will be behind two RB

Artillero

Hats off to De Silva! :angel

Slotted in to the one touch stuff, tracked back, good movementin the box and scoring from a header from a corner. Could have done with him last season!

I just dont get Song. His tackleing is quite ****e although to his credit his passing has improved.

scruzgooner

senderos "our defense played well".

based on the responses here (i didn't see the game) he's either (a) delusional or (b) delusional.

well?

Viper

Established Member
Our defence was all over the place. A better team would've scored 4 goals today. Infact, most of the team was mediocre with the exception of Eduardo and Bendtner.

Eduardo was our best player on the pitch. Everyone else played quite poorly. Still, we got the win and we practically had a reserves side out here.

jay-d

Established Member
scruzgooner said:

based on the responses here (i didn't see the game) he's either (a) delusional or (b) delusional.

well?

Sorry mate I have to disagree and go with option (c).............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................delusional.

sabret00the

Established Member
scruzgooner said:

well?
he said the defence played with a lot of character which they actually did. they never once dropped their head despite the mistakes and kept on working as much and hard as possible.

scruzgooner

he also said that, yes.

semi-delusional, then. :)

mind you, i like phil and what he brings to the team, just having a bit of fun.

Arsenal316

Well, keep in mind the defense we played today will not be the main back 4 we dress during most games anyways. Obviously the back-ups are trying to make the most of their time on the pitch.

We won't see this defense that often during this season.....barring a number of significant injuries of course....

EMIR8_SOLDIER

Established Member
scruzgooner said:

well?

thats why we'll never learn, it was all djourous fault though as i stated eariler, he maked the defense as a whole look ****ing disgraceful, he was heading onto the ground and cant clear a header fmore than 8 yards
senderos was fantastic to play his game and ppick up on djourous mistakes
is senderos played this bad he'll be getting it, i dont care i really rate djourou but theres no way hes escaping this stick today
i also asumme ajax is top as they didnt flipping concede!! anyway we have to win and so do ajax, it will be a game full of attacking play
be nice if we can scoop another pre season trophy just for moremorale

phenn

I feel like I'm the only one mentioning the fact that Bendtner's vision is out of this world for a player of his size and age.

Arsenal Quotes

I want a fan to wake up in the morning and say, “Arsenal are playing today, I’m going to have a good time.” That guy starts his day off by thinking that something good is going to happen to him. And to do that, big clubs like Arsenal have to have the ambition to play spectacularly. Of shared happiness.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom