• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Francis Coquelin: No Longer Needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Taking up a squad spot now and hindering the youngsters. Get rid while he has value at all. Loved his passion and heart but he just isn;t good enough anymore. Not that he ever really was.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
He use to be a lot better, and if he ever rediscovered that form he’d be a good player to have.

Did nutmeg someone yesterday though, can’t imagine the indignity of being nutmegged by Coquelin. :lol:

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
He's so wasteful and it's a shame that a talented youngster like Maitland Niles is behind him in pecking order to bench.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Would be a good fullback with his pace and ball winning ability. As a midfielder at Arsenal though, he's a bit off what's required.

Doesn't show for the ball anywhere near enough to keep circulating possession, very limited passing range and very average technically.

He played fullback for a bit during his first stint here (back in 2011 IIRC) and did quite well. He's a better player now too.
Wenger actually spoke about this last season when Bellerin was out:
Wenger told the club’s official website: “It goes through your mind [to play Francis at right back], but I don’t do it because I don’t feel he has the physiological profile of a full back – that is more on big accelerations, long-distance running and coming back.

“Francis is a guy who is very explosive on short distances. Every time I’ve played him at right back, he’s had muscular injuries. I think you have to get used to that kind of effort and he does not have that physiological profile to do this kind of job.”

IslingtonBornandbred

This is quite a weird one because in my opinion the Coquelin we saw when he returned from loan and the one we saw up in the cup final vs Villa is very useful. Regardless of what people want to say about him lacking ability, I think he's as useful if not more useful than Elneny due to his destructiveness and aggression. They are different players though.

Unfortunately due to injury and Wenger trying to turn him into a box to box midfielder (why!?) he seems to have lost that drive and aggression. As mentioned, the "on form" Coquelin is a good player to have. The Coquelin we've seen recently serves no purpose in our squad.

He's either in there to be a dog, to win the ball back and give it to the better players, or he shouldn't be in there at all.

Giroud

Established Member
Wenger actually spoke about this last season when Bellerin was out:
Wenger told the club’s official website: “It goes through your mind [to play Francis at right back], but I don’t do it because I don’t feel he has the physiological profile of a full back – that is more on big accelerations, long-distance running and coming back.

“Francis is a guy who is very explosive on short distances. Every time I’ve played him at right back, he’s had muscular injuries. I think you have to get used to that kind of effort and he does not have that physiological profile to do this kind of job.”

That's interesting but he hasn't exactly played a lot of minutes at fullback? Injuries could just be down to bad luck for that reason.

But at the end of the day the club has all the data on this and know more than us.

skip spence

Looked good next to Santi for some time which is testament to the brilliance of the little spaniard. A good character but no use for him now really.

I don't think we'd suffer much if Willock and/or AMN got in ahead of him and maybe they can push on too.

StefanB

Like people are saying: Use him as a CDM/anchor/shield and you'll get a very good player.

Instead of playing to his strengths tho, Wenger has decided that the best for Coquelin is to be a box-to-box midfielder. Which is so blatantly wrong. He did the same with Song.

Fallout

convert him into a LCB/RCB. he's more of a defender than elneny is. he serves no purpose as a midfielder in this formation because you need some offensive quality to be useful, given that there are already 3 CBs behind you.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Like people are saying: Use him as a CDM/anchor/shield and you'll get a very good player.

Instead of playing to his strengths tho, Wenger has decided that the best for Coquelin is to be a box-to-box midfielder. Which is so blatantly wrong. He did the same with Song.

Song was like a turnstile defensively, lad wouldn't track back to save his life :lol:

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

He's a useful player. Wasn't great last night but he's the only defensive-minded midfielder in our squad.

Should use him like Chelsea used Mikel.

He's also decent technically once he's back to match sharpnes.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Coquelin can still put in a good shift for us, and he's just coming back from a muscular injury so he isn't going to be at 100 percent yet.

It is good that we have guys like AMN and Willock pushing for spots in midfield, and by this summer I wouldn't be surprised if some established players left to make room for some of these young guys. However, they haven't done enough yet to displace a more established player.

Also, Coquelin won the flick on header that led to Nketiah's first goal yesterday. He's definitely a limited player, but he also does a lot of the little things that are important that often go unnoticed.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Looked good next to Santi for some time which is testament to the brilliance of the little spaniard. A good character but no use for him now really.

I don't think we'd suffer much if Willock and/or AMN got in ahead of him and maybe they can push on too.

No No No

otherway around

Coq made Santi look good

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
He's not looked as good since he injured his cruciate. He's had a series of little niggles since. He's ok as a ball winner but we need JW and Santi fit for him to pass to as his okay making skills aren't good enough. He's the most useful of those whose place might be in danger.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Don't make me post that FA cup final video again, where he's a Vieira, Zidane, Makelele hybrid ffs. I will do it.

skip spence

Don't make me post that FA cup final video again, where he's a Vieira, Zidane, Makelele hybrid ffs. I will do it.
Just go ahead man, I like the Coq.

If he's paired with a brilliant ballplayer like Santi and can focus on being a menace for the opposition, a pure destroyer, then he can be very effective. But Santi ain't around and without him we lose too much creativity and control in the middle with Francis on the field.

Would really like to see him score a PL goal though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

This is a big moment of happiness...we waited a long time for this and the happiness is linked sometimes with the suffering, and the time that you have to wait....this was more important than all the other (trophies) we have twice won the double, but were not under pressure then like we were today.

Arsène Wenger, on winning the 2014 FA Cup

Daily Transfer Updates

Friday, May 17

Cedric and Mohamed Elneny will leave the clubs when their contracts expire this summer [Fabrizio Romano]

Newcastle have joined Arsenal and Liverpool in the race to sign Barcelona winger Raphinha [TBR Football]

Arsenal are keen on Benfica’s 21 year old striker Marcos Leonardo [TBR Football]

Aaron Ramsdale has agreed to join Newcastle this summer [Sky Sports News]

Aaron Ramsdale denies agreement to join Newcastle:

Latest posts

Top Bottom