• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Francis Coquelin: No Longer Needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcahill

Passing percentage 65,2%, 28 touches in 55 minutes playing as a CB. Three tackles total, 1 clearance and 1 interception. Clearly one of the worst players on the pitch.

But hey, he's Coq. Apparently there are lot of fans out there who think it's ok to be absolutely horrendous with the ball if you just succeed in making a couple of flamboyant last chance tackles.

Stats aren't everything. I reckon all three tackles stopped a City scoring chance. I'm not saying he's the next N'golo Kante, only that he did well defensively today.

FinnGooner

Established Member
Stats aren't everything. I reckon all three tackles stopped a City scoring chance. I'm not saying he's the next N'golo Kante, only that he did well defensively today.

Stats aren't everything. I watched him play and thought he was bad even without the stats. Two highlight reel tackles won't change that

pikey2000

You can't really slate the man for having a bad game in a make shift back three with no protection from midfield against a team that are running away with the league!

You could take any DM in the country and bung them into that situation and they would have had just as torrid a time of it.

IF he ever gets to play in a 3 man mid as the ball wining DM we may see him at his best again; unfortunately it looks like we are set for a season of Xhaka - Ramsey; can fully see us spending Jan/Summer transfer windows replacing Özil and Sanchez and rolling into next season with the exact same combo as well

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Yeah , look I'm with you, he made a lot of significat defensive contributions today , frustrating at times with the ball but he won a fair bit of ball in the middle of the pitch...... signs are good imo.

pikey2000

You just have to look at the way City setup to see how we should be using him

------------Back four------------
----------Fernandihno----------
Sterling-De Bruyne-Silva-Sane
-------------Aguero--------------

or Chelsea with Kante against UTD

-----Azpilecueta-Christenson-Cahill-----
----------------------Kante------------------
Zappacosta-Fabregas-Bakayoko-Alonso

Jae

Not his biggest fan but at least he isn't shy of sticking a foot in or putting his body on the line, which is more than can be said for 80% of our team.

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog
Before the game: Wow, the 3-man midfield, Wenger is showing tactical flexibility!
Reality: Francis Coquelin playing a CB

FinnGooner

Established Member
You just have to look at the way City setup to see how we should be using him

------------Back four------------
----------Fernandihno----------
Sterling-De Bruyne-Silva-Sane
-------------Aguero--------------

or Chelsea with Kante against UTD

-----Azpilecueta-Christenson-Cahill-----
----------------------Kante------------------
Zappacosta-Fabregas-Bakayoko-Alonso

Kante and Fernandinho can pass the ball. They can also run with he ball. They can even turn and change pace with the ball and still keep enough composure to make a play that helps their team advance up the pitch. You shouldn't be comparing compare Coquelin with those guys. Claudio Yacob, Glenn Whelan or Lee Cattermole are more accurate comparisons. Although those guys score goal every now and then

pikey2000

Kante and Fernandinho can pass the ball. They can also run with he ball. They can even turn and change pace with the ball and still keep enough composure to make a play that helps their team advance up the pitch. You shouldn't be comparing compare Coquelin with those guys. Claudio Yacob, Glenn Whelan or Lee Cattermole are more accurate comparisons. Although those guys score goal every now and then

I realise he's not on their level in terms of ball carrying or passing but the fact remains judging him on playing CB is laughable and he would be far more effective in these positions where his sole responsibility is ball winning / interceptions and laying it off to a team mate.

Anyone who thinks playing CB is the same as playing DM hasn't played the game much, at CB you have to concern yourself with the position of your CB partners, staying in line, pushing out at the same time, playing the offside trap, it takes years to master CB which is why you see very few elite young CB's - to think you can just chuck a DM in at CB and he'll be fine is ridiculous and in our team down right suicidal, then to say he's ****e and quote some stats after doing so is a joke.

Fallout

he honestly contributed neither positively nor negatively to the result. we would have lost with any 3 CBs. he was simply okay for his first game in a new position. i'd like to see him again in the backline because for sure in this new formation he is not a CM.

skip spence

Coquelin is the Antichrist of football, he runs contrary to everything that is beautiful about the beautiful game.

Can be useful if he is used in such a role, as a destroyer of football, but my mouth froths any time he has the ball in the final third.

FinnGooner

Established Member
I realise he's not on their level in terms of ball carrying or passing but the fact remains judging him on playing CB is laughable and he would be far more effective in these positions where his sole responsibility is ball winning / interceptions and laying it off to a team mate.

Anyone who thinks playing CB is the same as playing DM hasn't played the game much, at CB you have to concern yourself with the position of your CB partners, staying in line, pushing out at the same time, playing the offside trap, it takes years to master CB which is why you see very few elite young CB's - to think you can just chuck a DM in at CB and he'll be fine is ridiculous and in our team down right suicidal, then to say he's ****e and quote some stats after doing so is a joke.

You think my opinion on him is based only on yesterday? It's not. I've seen the guy play for years. This was merely one more example on his inadequate skill level as a footballer for a team of our stature. We are a possession based team at least as long as Wenger is coaching and Coq is so limited in his creative play that we are always handicapped when he is on the pitch

And when a guy has 65% passing success as a CB, bringing that up is very much justified. Just because somebody brings up stats, doesn't mean they only look at stats. I saw the game, I've seen dozens of games where Coquelin has played and he has been unimpressive in probably 65% of those games. But people just seem to remember those flashy tackles, which by the way every now and then go badly wrong as well. Remember a certain NLD a couple years back? Yo know, he is often forced to make those tackles because his anticipation and positioning are not that good

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
The fact that he still does not have a goal to his name and only one lucky assist just 2 weeks ago for Nketiah's first, shows you he's as useful as tits on a nun.

Zyrth

You think my opinion on him is based only on yesterday? It's not. I've seen the guy play for years. This was merely one more example on his inadequate skill level as a footballer for a team of our stature. We are a possession based team at least as long as Wenger is coaching and Coq is so limited in his creative play that we are always handicapped when he is on the pitch

And when a guy has 65% passing success as a CB, bringing that up is very much justified. Just because somebody brings up stats, doesn't mean they only look at stats. I saw the game, I've seen dozens of games where Coquelin has played and he has been unimpressive in probably 65% of those games. But people just seem to remember those flashy tackles, which by the way every now and then go badly wrong as well. Remember a certain NLD a couple years back? Yo know, he is often forced to make those tackles because his anticipation and positioning are not that good
Sigh.. I still remember the days when we were a great counter attacking team (albeit not the defensive 2 banks of 4 kind, we just win the ball early and attack when and where we liked) under Wenger. **** this possession based football really. Why can't Wenger redeliver what he was good at?

Malky

Established Member
People are actually making argument's on how we should use him :lol:? Easy answer - we don't!
Since his names " Coq " He's as much use as condom that's been through a blender. Why he's still here and actually playing an important squad role is beyond me! He's ****ing terrible.

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

He’s ok but wouldn’t be anywhere near a team that’s challenging for the title.

To think he was going Charlton (iirc) and we stopped it :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal is in my blood as well as my heart. I will always, always, always remember you guys. I said I was going to be a Gooner for life and I did not lie because when you are a Gooner, you will always be a Gooner. This club is in my heart and will remain in my heart forever.

Thierry Henry
Top Bottom