• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Liverpool v Arsenal, Sunday 4pm

Thommybhoy

Established Member
Suker:"Gunner be big"
Davor Šuker said:
"In the next two to five years, Arsenal will dominate in Europe. They have young players with great talent."

"I know when Arsène Wenger puts something in his head he will do it and I wish him the best. He's one of the best coaches I had in my career."

"I think they could go through the whole season unbeaten. There's a good spirit in the squad and I know these people play well and are working hard."

stiiphunn

Established Member
Gurgen said:
JazzG said:
How good were our fans yesterday? On the tele could only hear them singing, where was the famous Anfield atmosphere?

Biggus said:
I'm happy with the point. Everybodys talking about how we played them off the park, and we did. But possession percentage doesn't mean anything in itself- it's what you do with it that counts. There were times when we looked very much like last season (Like a wet fart, promising but not delivering), and Liverpool looked like scoring every time they went forward. In truth it could have been over at half time. :roll:
But our little Gunnerlings are a little bit tougher this year, and at 1-0 we were always a chance to score in the last 10 minutes.....pity we couldn't have run over the top of them. Now that would have sent the watching Fungi running to the bottle. :wink:

A bit harsh I think mate, Adebayor went one on one with their keeper, we hit the post twice, missed two open goals and then the goal we scored that is 6 very good scoring chances at Anfield and that is not including Fabregas being taken down and we should of had a penalty as well. If you also factor in the number of times Adebayor had simple pass to put someone through and messed up (Touré and Rosicky come to mind) you can't realistically expect more going to Anfield. Better teams have come here and struggled and even though we didn't win I don't feel that was down to us not being good enough. We controlled the game for 75% of the game and they were defending for dear life in that match, they ran themselves into the ground and played with 9 or 10 men behind the ball which shows you just how worried they were.

I completely agree, I don't get the distorted view that people have of this game.

Liverpool played like it was a cup final and we still dominated for 70 of the 90 minutes. All of their chances were either long shots or set pieces, and this can easily be explained by:
a) Manuel Almunia's inability to collect a corner.
b) Touré and Gallas' inability to challenge Crouch in the air.

Put Jens, Senderos and Gilberto in there and we win this 0-3.

You can't challenge Crouch in the air. Unless you're as tall as him.
The last time Senderos played I remember him having a tough time against someone who wasn't even as good in the air as Crouch.

alonso14

Established Member
stiiphunn said:
Gurgen said:
JazzG said:
How good were our fans yesterday? On the tele could only hear them singing, where was the famous Anfield atmosphere?

Biggus said:
I'm happy with the point. Everybodys talking about how we played them off the park, and we did. But possession percentage doesn't mean anything in itself- it's what you do with it that counts. There were times when we looked very much like last season (Like a wet fart, promising but not delivering), and Liverpool looked like scoring every time they went forward. In truth it could have been over at half time. :roll:
But our little Gunnerlings are a little bit tougher this year, and at 1-0 we were always a chance to score in the last 10 minutes.....pity we couldn't have run over the top of them. Now that would have sent the watching Fungi running to the bottle. :wink:

A bit harsh I think mate, Adebayor went one on one with their keeper, we hit the post twice, missed two open goals and then the goal we scored that is 6 very good scoring chances at Anfield and that is not including Fabregas being taken down and we should of had a penalty as well. If you also factor in the number of times Adebayor had simple pass to put someone through and messed up (Touré and Rosicky come to mind) you can't realistically expect more going to Anfield. Better teams have come here and struggled and even though we didn't win I don't feel that was down to us not being good enough. We controlled the game for 75% of the game and they were defending for dear life in that match, they ran themselves into the ground and played with 9 or 10 men behind the ball which shows you just how worried they were.

I completely agree, I don't get the distorted view that people have of this game.

Liverpool played like it was a cup final and we still dominated for 70 of the 90 minutes. All of their chances were either long shots or set pieces, and this can easily be explained by:

The last time Senderos played I remember him having a tough time against someone who wasn't even as good in the air as Crouch.

the problem is **** in the air, and when he does challenge he gets penalised for being tall

tam1886

Established Member
stiiphunn said:
Gurgen said:

Challenging Crouch in the air doesn't necesarily mean taking the ball every time. Keown was on SSN at half time when it was revealed Crouch may be coming on and he was saying you have to get in front of him and get up earlier, or come in from the side. He said you cant let him get in front of you because then you're never going to win it. Someone leaning into him or jumping into him at the right time puts him under pressure and makes it harder for him to pick out the header he wants. Its as much about stopping him doing what he wants as winning it from him, and our defence didn't do that enough.

Long Time Gooner

tam1886 said:
Challenging Crouch in the air doesn't necesarily mean taking the ball every time. Keown was on SSN at half time when it was revealed Crouch may be coming on and he was saying you have to get in front of him and get up earlier, or come in from the side. He said you cant let him get in front of you because then you're never going to win it. Someone leaning into him or jumping into him at the right time puts him under pressure and makes it harder for him to pick out the header he wants. Its as much about stopping him doing what he wants as winning it from him, and our defence didn't do that enough.
It would be great to have Keown back as defensive coach.

Didn't he do that for a brief spell a couple of seasons ago?

tam1886

Established Member
alonso14 said:
the problem is s**t in the air, and when he does challenge he gets penalised for being tall
I'm pretty sure that happened once or twice in that game where it could have gone either way and we got the decisions.

I don't think he's as good in the air as is made out, and he certainly isn't as good as someone his height should be. I think because of the height, people assume defeat too easily against him and from then on are always fighting a losing battle.

alonso14

Established Member
tam1886 said:
alonso14 said:
the problem is s**t in the air, and when he does challenge he gets penalised for being tall
I'm pretty sure that happened once or twice in that game where it could have gone either way and we got the decisions.

I don't think he's as good in the air as is made out, and he certainly isn't as good as someone his height should be. I think because of the height, people assume defeat too easily against him and from then on are always fighting a losing battle.

his best ever header was against you last season

sometimes his head acts as a shock absorber and the ball lobs into the keepers hands

tam1886

Established Member
Long Time Gooner said:

Yeh, there was the famous part of Cashley's (failed) autobiography where he claimed Keown tried to help out Senderos and give him a few tips, then Senderos walked away blowing out his cheeks as if to say what a waste of time. No idea if its true or not, I just remember that being one of the many annoying passages I read that Cashley had written.

tam1886

Established Member
alonso14 said:
tam1886 said:
alonso14 said:

sometimes his head acts as a shock absorber and the ball lobs into the keepers hands
Yeh. I just can't stand him. I don't like him at all. I'll never forget his goal against T&T at the world cup either. He must have had about a 5-7 inch height advantage over the defender, but to score he still had to pull the guy back by his dreadlocks. If I was the defender, next time he jumped, I would have made sure his nuts came down on my shoulder.

Long Time Gooner

tam1886 said:
Long Time Gooner said:

Yeh, there was the famous part of Cashley's (failed) autobiography where he claimed Keown tried to help out Senderos and give him a few tips, then Senderos walked away blowing out his cheeks as if to say what a waste of time. No idea if its true or not, I just remember that being one of the many annoying passages I read that Cashley had written.
That's it. I hadn't realised that it was in that book, since like pretty well everybody else I haven't read it.

If it is true then Senderos is an idiot and it could go some way to expleining why he hasn't developed as we would have wished. And more importantly such a waste of an opportunity. Keown must have lots to offer on defensive techniques.

If it is not true then Cashley is even more of a prat.

tam1886

Established Member
Long Time Gooner said:
tam1886 said:
Long Time Gooner said:

That's it. I hadn't realised that it was in that book, since like pretty well everybody else I haven't read it.

If it is true then Senderos is an idiot and it could go some way to expleining why he hasn't developed as we would have wished. And more importantly such a waste of an opportunity. Keown must have lots to offer on defensive techniques.

If it is not true then Cashley is even more of a prat.
My thoughts exactly. We might never know though, as I'm sure Keown has more class than to do that, and Senderos would never be willing to admit it I reckon.

Long Time Gooner

alonso14 said:

He usually seems to drop his head into his shoulders before heading. Quite weird, almost as if he is crouching (forgive the pun) for the ball.

Gurgen

Established Member
scruzgooner said:
Gurgen said:
I completely agree, I don't get this distorted view that people have of this game.

i agree with you about the distorted view people have, we came damn close to taking three points.

but why slag almunia? i thought he played a great game, and guessed wrong on the corner. it was a handball by alonso, and kolo was there to cover.

he made a couple of great saves, especially on gerrard's first and third shots, and was absolutely not at fault for their goal. if hleb stayed home, that shot hits the wall. instead, he took the place flamini(?) moved out of to get up on gerrard, and gerrard put it in the hole.

You misunderstand. I'm not talking about any particular indicent, I'm talking about his overall play. He never came for any corner they took and as a result there was panic in the box. Our defenders had to challenge much bigger players in the air.

-Shaun-

Thommybhoy said:

Nice read.

With the current crop of players, and with some more great additions, then why can't we be the best team in the world? We thrive with fresh, young talent, and most of our amazing players have years and years of their bright careers left. It's nice to hear so many positives coming from the club at the moment, all I can say is that I hope it carries on. People are praising us left, right, and centre,and I love it. Our players have considerably grown recently, they look great. Every game they will learn new things to show, to win us trophies. The future's bright, the future's Arsenal.

Long Time Gooner

-Shaun- said:
Thommybhoy said:

Nice read.

With the current crop of players, and with some more great additions, then why can't we be the best team in the world? We thrive with fresh, young talent, and most of our amazing players have years and years of their bright careers left. It's nice to hear so many positives coming from the club at the moment, all I can say is that I hope it carries on. People are praising us left, right, and centre,and I love it. Our players have considerably grown recently, they look great. Every game they will learn new things to show, to win us trophies. The future's bright, the future's Arsenal.

Not on here they're not.

True Gooner

Established Member
The people that are saying that Cesc and Ade were poor need to watch the game again.
We played Liverpool at Anfeild. Of course no one will have a perfect game. Did you even see the pressure that they put us in? Liverpool were amazing in defense and worked really hard all over the pitch. Of course Cesc, Flamini, Rosicky and Ade would find it hard to make an impact. :roll:
You guys have seen lots of big games and you know that its hard for players to extert thier influence in a game, especially when your playing away at Anfield! Isnt this the kind of game Henry would disappear?! Atleast Adebayor left some impact on the game. He hardly had the ball. (true he did fluff a simple pass to Toure)
Yes, we had made mistakes, Flamini was caught, he didnt play with his head. This season he was the person applying the pressure and ironically he was put under pressure. Unfortunately it lead to the free kick and the the goal.
The wall was poor and I cant help think that the goal was also due to the fact that Cesc moved early (before the whistle had blown), which resulted in the free kick being re taken, thats why Gerrard decieded to take a shot through the wall.
As for Hleb, he is out of this world at the moment. The fact that no player, on either side, could come to terms with the game, apart from Alex Hleb, says alot for him.
Overall Im chuffed with a point tbh. We could have won but the most important thing is that we didnt lose

scruzgooner

Gurgen said:
scruzgooner said:
Gurgen said:
I completely agree, I don't get this distorted view that people have of this game.

i agree with you about the distorted view people have, we came damn close to taking three points.

but why slag almunia? i thought he played a great game, and guessed wrong on the corner. it was a handball by alonso, and kolo was there to cover.

he made a couple of great saves, especially on gerrard's first and third shots, and was absolutely not at fault for their goal. if hleb stayed home, that shot hits the wall. instead, he took the place flamini(?) moved out of to get up on gerrard, and gerrard put it in the hole.

You misunderstand. I'm not talking about any particular indicent, I'm talking about his overall play. He never came for any corner they took and as a result there was panic in the box. Our defenders had to challenge much bigger players in the air.
hmm, i guess that's reason enough to put jens in there, though? i think almunia gives much more stability for the rest of our game, and that's enough. we already have a height disadvantage, and jens coming to claim (or flap, as the case may be) isn't going to change that. also, i think "panic" might be overstating it; the only time i felt there were problems was on the alonso handball. otherwise he seemed to have it covered, whether or not he came out onto the ball.

phil being injured, well, not possible to play. i think gilberto should have started, so i guess i agree with that. i think we could have won 3-0 if flamini doesn't run out of the wall, and if both cesc and nick try to keep their shots on the ground (the off-the-woodwork volleys). or something like that (not to criticise them, those rebounds were *travelling* when they arrived at their feet, and that's a damn hard ask).

RockyRocastle

Established Member
You have to laugh at all those muppets on that Liverpool site that was linked on here.

Giving it the big'un about how they were going to create an hostile atmosphere and intimidate us.

Well ive been more intimidated at Disneyland than that morgue yesterday.

What an over blown, overhyped, up their own arse, media created myth Anfield is.

Their support really was ****ing ****. Embarrassingly so when you consider how they class themselves as the greatest fans the world has ever seen.

Considering how big of a game it was their 'support' was pathetic. Apart from singing along to an orchestrated song played over the tannoy I hardly heard them.

We are hardly the best fans is the world but I assure you that the support when they come to AB will be louder than that.

Our away support was decent enough. We all stood which was a big plus and is a regular occurance now outside of tinpot northern away games.
Think we over did the Liverpool hoof the ball thing. It was funny the first 2 or 3 times but got a bit **** after that.

Great scenes when we scored, everyone seemed to surge forward to get to Cesc, bodies flying all over the place, what it is all about. Thought he had won it at the end when it left his boot aswell, and would have been well deserved.

God how lucky are we to support The Arsenal? Imagine having to watch that dire excuse for fooball week in week out!

oooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwww..............................................

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!

Biggus

Established Member
JazzG said:

I don't really get you Jazz, You say we outplayed them and then say what more do I expect a Anfield? Nothing I'm happy with our point. :) Don't get me wrong, we were good value for it, And should have run over them. But there were times especially in the first half when we hadn't created one clear cut chance from all the possession- they had several. They had injuries and been to Turkey a few days previously and were sluggish.
This season we don't lay down like we last one, so I think we did well.......Liverpool at Anfield is a tough fixture.

maradona

My commemts from the Liverpool match are that I wish Eboue would be bit of 'man' sometimes, clutching his face in the pen area, I find it all a little bit embarressing TBH.
If Theo had played more centrally when he came on I think we would have been in a position to destroy Liverpool.
But a great great team performance none the less and a draw was the very least we deserved. Full of hope for the Manure game now.

Arsenal Quotes

"Maybe we'll have a good surprise for you"

Arsène hints at transfer activity a day before the arrival of Mesut Özil

Latest posts

Top Bottom