• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Malang Sarr

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
You have to compare what you had when you were successful with what you had when you weren't to understand problems. That's how you fix them. The problem is at Arsenal we dont invest in our defence and nobody can argue that point with me as the evidence is there. Make a list of the cost of the centre backs over the last 20 years. The total of them probably doesn't even match what we paid for our current front 3 and we are maybe talking about 15 CBs. I know attackers cost more but it still isnt good enough.

It's quite funny that the CB Arsène spent most on (Mustafi) is the worst defender he signed, while the CB he spent least on (Sol) was the best one he signed :lol:

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
It's quite funny that the CB Arsène spent most on (Mustafi) is the worst defender he signed, while the CB he spent least on (Sol) was the best one he signed :lol:

He signed him on a free and was a one of deal. A one of deal doesnt eclipse the other business. Basically he got lucky with Sol as he contract ended, he wanted to stay in London and at that time we were fighting with United for the league in a 2 horse race.

The minute we fell away abit we couldnt identify good defenders and attract them.

The club has a huge question mark over centre backs. Even defenders in general.

Lauren. Bought as a midfielder.
Toure bought as a midfielder.
Campbell free.
Cole academy.

After that we had:

Debuchy
Sagna
Luhzny
Senderos
Cygan
Djourou
Squillaci
Silvestre
Koscielny
Gallas
Metresacker
Stepanovs
Vermaelen
Eboue
Santos
Monreal
Holding
Chambers
Luiz
Sokratis
Mustafi.

That's only of the top of my head. How many were good? Sagna, Gallas, Kos, Per? Monreal was solid. So out of 21 defenders theres been about 5 decent ones. That isnt a very good %.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
He signed him on a free and was a one of deal. A one of deal doesnt eclipse the other business. Basically he got lucky with Sol as he contract ended, he wanted to stay in London and at that time we were fighting with United for the league in a 2 horse race.

The minute we fell away abit we couldnt identify good defenders and attract them.

Campbell free.
Cole academy.

After that we had:

Debuchy
Sagna
Luhzny
Senderos
Cygan
Djourou
Squillaci
Silvestre
Koscielny
Gallas
Metresacker
Stepanovs
Vermaelen
Eboue
Santos
Monreal
Holding
Chambers
Luiz
Sokratis
Mustafi.

That's only of the top of my head. How many were good? Sagna, Gallas, Kos, Per? Monreal was solid. So out of 21 defenders theres been about 5 decent ones. That isnt a very good %.

Steve Rowley saying Van Djik was too nonchalant is painful when you look at that list.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Steve Rowley saying Van Djik was too nonchalant is painful when you look at that list.

Yeah. Especially when you think the risk was 13m. Huge mistake but that's typical Arsenal. Turn down the chance to sign someone who looks the part and sign Mustafi who never seemed convincing.

I have friends who live in Spain and follow La Liga and they said Valencia fans couldnt believe someone signed Mustafi for 35m.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
Yeah. Especially when you think the risk was 13m. Huge mistake but that's typical Arsenal. Turn down the chance to sign someone who looks the part and sign Mustafi who never seemed convincing.

I have friends who live in Spain and follow La Liga and they said Valencia fans couldnt believe someone signed Mustafi for 35m.

Didn't our scout in Spain at the time say he was nowhere near good enough for Arsenal but got overuled by statsdna?

Gunner-Union

I’d like to get rid but we’d have to spend that money on getting a replacement like eduoard which would be an upgrade

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Yeah. People blame statDNA but ultimately a human has to judge in the end. And whoever made the call was horribly wrong.

Yeah statDNA just helped us highlight potential players to take a proper look at. At the end of the day our poor signings are down to the scouts and the decision makers, not the statDNA team who trawl through hours of footage.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
He was overruled by Gazidis. I wish people would stop blaming StatDNA :lol: - they just collated the stats!

So Gazisdis used a crystal ball to make the decision? If Statdna were indicating several players we signed were good before we signed them and they were bad for us it is probably a bad source to inform our transfers.

Shalmaneser V

G. Nev said something similar too. Reckoned Valencia couldn’t give him away before Arsenal came calling.

benjamin86

Established Member

Campbell free.
Cole academy.

After that we had:

Debuchy
Sagna
Luhzny
Senderos
Cygan
Djourou
Squillaci
Silvestre
Koscielny
Gallas
Metresacker
Stepanovs
Vermaelen
Eboue
Santos
Monreal
Holding
Chambers
Luiz
Sokratis
Mustafi.

Gabriel is about the only 1 i can think of that you've missed who we signed instead of Van Dijk...woops

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
Data/stats are only as good as the user interpreting it.

No it also depends on the stats themselves as well, a whole pile of useless or irrelevant stats are still useless. If the statistical analysis provides zero context for the stats... which stats dna seem to then they are useless. Several stat websites offer as much as I reckon stats dna offer.

Edit: if this is their teama then no wonder the signings based upon their recommendations are a disaster... who there has any experience in analysis of football? TO me I'd say they weren't far passed using clickers and dressing them up in nice powerpoints. https://www.statdna.com/About.aspx

benjamin86

Established Member
No way he's staying there. Too good for the championship. Could see Palace make a move for him if the sell Zaha
My best guess is the Pozzo's (Watford owners) "loan" him to Udinese(other club they own). It will be interesting to see what Watford do, other than defense i think they've got a decent team and quite a few decent youngsters.

Arsenal Quotes

I will sign every contract Arsenal put in front of me without reading it.

Tony Adams
Top Bottom