• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Malang Sarr

Shalmaneser V

Sokratis, Luiz and Mustafi contracts run out next summer. Unless some miracle happens they won't be here. Shouldn't be here either.

I misread your post. Thought you meant this summer. Yeah Luiz and Sokratis at least should be gone by next summer. Still hopeful we can flog Sokratis off earlier than expected. With Mustafi I wouldn’t be surprised if we extended his contract though unfortunately.

daron christie

That depend if other big clubs are interested at the moment there none. Don't think we'll make any move until we know if we are in europa or not
If it all depends on wether any other big club wants him he can just wait then

it’s like the ugly guy at the school dance wanting a dance with one of the hot girls and only chance of getting one is coz all the jocks are paired up...but instead the hot girl declines and waits for next song instead

Don’t think so either. I see him as a good backup option for now that is cheap. Then again experience is so important as a CB and they usually bloom later, so who knows.

For me it’s just good, sound business. There’s very little downside (if any) to a signing like this. Maybe the opportunity cost if getting Sarr would mean not being able to go for an Aké or Gabriel.

We already signed Mari who is terrible as our back up LCB no?

We are just stacking defenders if we go for this Sarr dude instead of identifying a top target we want and go after it.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

We already signed Mari who is terrible as our back up LCB no?

We are just stacking defenders if we go for this Sarr dude instead of identifying a top target we want and go after it.
Yeah i get what you’re saying and I don’t really understand the Mari signing. Won’t be surprised if we eventually find out that the deal was constructed in a way where we were always going to sign him long term.

As for Sarr he is an asset we can develop and then sell. Get him in, loan him out to Bundesliga and see how he develops. Either he becomes part of our mid to long term plans, or we sell him in a couple of years for 20m.

It’s definitely a matter of stacking defenders. But again, I view from a business side where we stand little to lose and a lot to win. Those are the deals we need to make right now, imho.

Sydney-Gooner

wait Mari is already terrible, that was quick

There's a reason Mari is already considered **** and only one!

images

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Replacing a poverty LB with a CB would be criminal. He should've been brought in and we should've never took Mari's option. As that spot has been filled, unless we shift Holding, I don't see a point in this signing...

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Arsenal FC is the home of 10-15m defenders who cant defend. It's been a recurring theme for 15 years. Even when we had one of the best defences we got Campbell for free and Kolo Toure bought as a midfielder for about 350k was turned into a CB. After that the plethora of crap was consistent. Wenger didnt have an eye for a CB. The club in general have a fear or a reluctance to buy cbs that have any kind on talent.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

We’ve decided to stop shopping for midget attacking mids and start loading up on squad CB’s.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Arsenal FC is the home of 10-15m defenders who cant defend. It's been a recurring theme for 15 years. Even when we had one of the best defences we got Campbell for free and Kolo Toure bought as a midfielder for about 350k was turned into a CB. After that the plethora of crap was consistent. Wenger didnt have an eye for a CB. The club in general have a fear or a reluctance to buy cbs that have any kind on talent.

Kos and Per were very good.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
They were decent. But still not good enough for a title winning team.

You don't always have to compare current-ish players, to our great title winning teams of the past...not really fair on them either, as since the stadium move, we haven't truly ever been aiming to win the league...but that doesn't mean some of the players we have had since then haven't been great for us, who deserve praise for their efforts for the club.

I agree that most of the centrebacks we have signed since we moved to the Emirates haven't been good enough though.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
You don't always have to compare current-ish players, to our great title winning teams of the past...not really fair on them either, as since the stadium move, we haven't truly ever been aiming to win the league...but that doesn't mean some of the players we have had since then haven't been great for us, who deserve praise for their efforts for the club.

I agree that most of the centrebacks we have signed since we moved to the Emirates haven't been good enough though.

You have to compare what you had when you were successful with what you had when you weren't to understand problems. That's how you fix them. The problem is at Arsenal we dont invest in our defence and nobody can argue that point with me as the evidence is there. Make a list of the cost of the centre backs over the last 20 years. The total of them probably doesn't even match what we paid for our current front 3 and we are maybe talking about 15 CBs. I know attackers cost more but it still isnt good enough.

Arsenal Quotes

Ian Wright was the incredible striker for whom those around him sometimes found hard to control especially the opponents. He was an extrovert, hyperactive, and had endured an extremely hard life. His playing style was instinctive, and he had that killer instinct, a player like no other.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom