• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Most underrated Arsenal players

Heskey

🌑 🌘🌗🌖🌕🌔🌓🌒
Trusted ⭐
We paid £10.5M for him.

75c773d1c9e78a1689e89c220bfef85a.png

How anyone can say he was overrated is beyond me.

Had we had a mental coach who could've helped him with his composure he'd been world class is my gut feel. He got to the right positions, and lacked that last bit of cold-bloodedness.

Heskey

🌑 🌘🌗🌖🌕🌔🌓🌒
Trusted ⭐
Diaby is also a ridiculous one to call overrated.

I don't know how he was able to come back after injury time and time again and produce some of the games he did.

I know how rusty I feel at work when I come back after a weekend, then imagine months out of football and come back to play against the likes of Liverpool and Chelsea - and boss the games.. :lol:

Claims of him being inconsistent is a bit redundant imo. too.
You need to consistently practice whatever trade you have to be able to consistently perform. When you're out injured with a ****ed ankle like Diaby and come back and question yourself for every 50/50 or like even 80/20 challenge, you're never going to feel fully comfortable and settle into a rhythm.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle

I can't believe I fotgot Merse. Unfortunately for Merse he played at the time where England was full great attacking players and not the overrated so called "Golden generation" of Lampard and Slippy G as Merson was as good as them but didnt get anywhere near the hype.
Merse was a total wreck of a pro for his entire career too. He got by on pure talent. He could have been 3 times the player.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Rosicky has to be high up there - when fit he was a hard player to deal with.

I'd have to go with Iwobi to an extent. The way people talk about him, you'd think he was this absolutely terrible player and he really wasn't.

I can't think too much in terms of recent past players because we rated most of them correctly in the grand scheme of things.

In terms of current players, it is personal opinion but I'd go with Eddie Nketiah, (Willock and Nelson a close 2nd and 3rd). Comes back from loan and scores 3 goals in 5 or so starts since returning yet is still talked down on, like the other two aforementioned.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Rosicky has to be high up there - when fit he was a hard player to deal with.

I'd have to go with Iwobi to an extent. The way people talk about him, you'd think he was this absolutely terrible player and he really wasn't.

I can't think too much in terms of recent past players because we rated most of them correctly in the grand scheme of things.

In terms of current players, it is personal opinion but I'd go with Eddie Nketiah, (Willock and Nelson a close 2nd and 3rd). Comes back from loan and scores 3 goals in 5 or so starts since returning yet is still talked down on, like the other two aforementioned.
Iwobi’s woeful shenanigans in the final third is probably what most remember... He had great technique and understanding of the game from deeper though. At his best, reminded me of Rozza. He just needed to leng it more.

Heskey

🌑 🌘🌗🌖🌕🌔🌓🌒
Trusted ⭐
I don't know why we didn't test out Iwobi more centrally. Think he would be exactly what our midfield has lacked in recent times - basically since we lost Ramsey and didn't replace him.
He definitely had the skillset to be central as well as a physique that could do the job. I think he'd excel.

I recall only a few games centrally, but I believe he did a decent job centrally for us. @MutableEarth wasn't he used often in central roles for the Reserves/Youth teams as well or am I remembering poorly?

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I don't know why we didn't test out Iwobi more centrally. Think he would be exactly what our midfield has lacked in recent times - basically since we lost Ramsey and didn't replace him.
He definitely had the skillset to be central as well as a physique that could do the job. I think he'd excel.

I recall only a few games centrally, but I believe he did a decent job centrally for us. @MutableEarth wasn't he used often in central roles for the Reserves/Youth teams as well or am I remembering poorly?
He had a couple games in midfield for the U23s but it was playing upfront that gave him a bit of galvanization. He played as a false 9 and did a pretty good job, even his finishing wasn't bad. His shooting was much stronger when he lenged it for sure :lol:.

Midfield was definitely his future and it's a shame that even at Everton he's shafted out-wide. Typecasted from early because he can dribble. He'd have been a perfect needle player, like a Dembele for Sp**s. That power and strength coupled with his ability to shield the ball and dribble, and his passes into the the final 3rd were much more indicative of his ability than when he was actually in the final 3rd.

In theory, this is how we should be using Willock.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel

The one game I remember Iwobi playing centrally was at home to Palace for Giroud's scorpion kick, there might have been others but he played just behind Ollie at number 10, think Özil might have been "sick" again for this one!

I remember him playing really well, he even scored in the second half...Thierry Henry was a pundit for the game I think, and he went full @Notorious Big at fulltime, and said how Iwobi should keep his place ahead of Mesut :lol:

Heskey

🌑 🌘🌗🌖🌕🌔🌓🌒
Trusted ⭐
He had a couple games in midfield for the U23s but it was playing upfront that gave him a bit of galvanization. He played as a false 9 and did a pretty good job, even his finishing wasn't bad. His shooting was much stronger when he lenged it for sure :lol:.

Midfield was definitely his future and it's a shame that even at Everton he's shafted out-wide. Typecasted from early because he can dribble. He'd have been a perfect needle player, like a Dembele for Sp**s. That power and strength coupled with his ability to shield the ball and dribble, and his passes into the the final 3rd were much more indicative of his ability than when he was actually in the final 3rd.

In theory, this is how we should be using Willock.
I remember that - especially that you were praising his finishing back in U23s and said he had a powerful strike that often beat the keepers. For some reason, that completely changed when he entered the senior squad. Strange case, whether that was confidence, training or whatever, not the right change definitely!

All of what you're saying in that second paragraph is exactly my thoughts too. Dembele was very much the player I compared him to in my mind as well. Really bugs me that he didn't get a greater shot in our midfield in such role. Especially seeing how willing we were to provide such chances to other players in that period when we had our own youth ready to make his shot for it.

And yeah I see a lot of those same qualities in Willock. Luckily he seems to have been given more chances centrally than Iwobi did, so here's to hoping we don't mess it up with him too.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I remember that - especially that you were praising his finishing back in U23s and said he had a powerful strike that often beat the keepers. For some reason, that completely changed when he entered the senior squad. Strange case, whether that was confidence, training or whatever, not the right change definitely!

All of what you're saying in that second paragraph is exactly my thoughts too. Dembele was very much the player I compared him to in my mind as well. Really bugs me that he didn't get a greater shot in our midfield in such role. Especially seeing how willing we were to provide such chances to other players in that period when we had our own youth ready to make his shot for it.

And yeah I see a lot of those same qualities in Willock. Luckily he seems to have been given more chances centrally than Iwobi did, so here's to hoping we don't mess it up with him too.
To be fair - one thing I've noticed about finishing at U23 and below level is that the standard of keeping is drastically different. Additionally, players are under greater pressure when taking shots, so intangible things like body shape, which area of the foot they use etc all matter. It's why I have a firm belief in Nketiah because his shooting ability has translated pretty well from youth football to first team football. Everywhere he goes, he scores.

The profile of our midfield is a pure shambles - I don't have an explanation for why we are so content to be bereft of ball-carrying, power and acceleration in the engine room when it would clearly behoove us to have that kind of option. It would help if we had that kind of player to offset the ability to pass the ball into the final 3rd. If we used Willock deeper on the pitch, he'd be 100x better. Iwobi won't have that chance but that's the past now.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Francis Coquelin - Now I know he is not a fantastic player who can make a big difference in a match by himself. But he is given the job of protecting the defence, he excels at it. The Caz-Coq combination was perfect in so many ways. Cazorla had the creativity and pace to break the press and he was also good at winning the ball back. Coquelin did the task that was given to him neatly. He did all the dirty work that Cazorla can't do. He was very good at sliding tackles too.
His career went downhill when Cazorla got injured. He was given too many responsibilities. Also Wenger in his final years positioned him a bit forward for some reason.
He has a limited skillset that he excels at. But he definitely doesn't deserve the hatred, many fans have for him.

Heskey

🌑 🌘🌗🌖🌕🌔🌓🌒
Trusted ⭐
The one game I remember Iwobi playing centrally was at home to Palace for Giroud's scorpion kick, there might have been others but he played just behind Ollie at number 10, think Özil might have been "sick" again for this one!

I remember him playing really well, he even scored in the second half...Thierry Henry was a pundit for the game I think, and he went full @Notorious Big at fulltime, and said how Iwobi should keep his place ahead of Mesut :lol:
Good man Henry :lol:. Would have loved it if we had given him more chances centrally, but further back as part of the Central 2-man pivot.

To be fair - one thing I've noticed about finishing at U23 and below level is that the standard of keeping is drastically different. Additionally, players are under greater pressure when taking shots, so intangible things like body shape, which area of the foot they use etc all matter. It's why I have a firm belief in Nketiah because his shooting ability has translated pretty well from youth football to first team football. Everywhere he goes, he scores.

The profile of our midfield is a pure shambles - I don't have an explanation for why we are so content to be bereft of ball-carrying, power and acceleration in the engine room when it would clearly behoove us to have that kind of option. It would help if we had that kind of player to offset the ability to pass the ball into the final 3rd. If we used Willock deeper on the pitch, he'd be 100x better. Iwobi won't have that chance but that's the past now.
Definitely something to take note of. Keeper generally develop slower than other positions because it's so largely based on your experience, anticipations and positioning - all things that take time or exceptional talent to develop.
Fully agree re. Nketiah impressing with his finishing. It just seems so.. comfortable for him. And his movement has been quite solid so far too. Really curious to see how he develops if he gets continuous game time for us.

Willock would be really nice deeper indeed. I haven't noticed enough of his final 3rd impact, but I remember him having a neat long range pass, and he seems to have a very promising vision of the game. Also good physique combined with a work ethic allowing him to provide an impact offensively as well as defensively. This is the type of player we often see playing for a mid-table size, where we are drooling at the thought of buying them. Then they get their breakthrough and they get sold for big fees that we don't pay and we miss out. Here we have that type in our own ranks!

Heskey

🌑 🌘🌗🌖🌕🌔🌓🌒
Trusted ⭐
Francis Coquelin - Now I know he is not a fantastic player who can make a big difference in a match by himself. But he is given the job of protecting the defence, he excels at it. The Caz-Coq combination was perfect in so many ways. Cazorla had the creativity and pace to break the press and he was also good at winning the ball back. Coquelin did the task that was given to him neatly. He did all the dirty work that Cazorla can't do. He was very good at sliding tackles too.
His career went downhill when Cazorla got injured. He was given too many responsibilities. Also Wenger in his final years positioned him a bit forward for some reason.
He has a limited skillset that he excels at. But he definitely doesn't deserve the hatred, many fans have for him.
I remember facemask-Coquelin. What a monster he was for a period.
It definitely didn't do him any favors when he started to play a bit more advanced. Not sure though if that was Wenger's tactical suggestions or more Coquelin feeling more confident and as such overestimating his technical skills and wanting to make a bigger impact offensively.

I could be completely off on this, but I recall him scoring a goal or two in a short span and then he started to develop more attacking tendencies - perhaps to chase some more thrills of scoring, couldn't blame him tbh. And Wenger was never much for limiting player's creative urges - great showcase of this was our fluid football which was scintillating at it's best, and defensively horribly unstructured at it's worst.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
I remember facemask-Coquelin. What a monster he was for a period.
It definitely didn't do him any favors when he started to play a bit more advanced. Not sure though if that was Wenger's tactical suggestions or more Coquelin feeling more confident and as such overestimating his technical skills and wanting to make a bigger impact offensively.

I could be completely off on this, but I recall him scoring a goal or two in a short span and then he started to develop more attacking tendencies - perhaps to chase some more thrills of scoring, couldn't blame him tbh. And Wenger was never much for limiting player's creative urges - great showcase of this was our fluid football which was scintillating at it's best, and defensively horribly unstructured at it's worst.
True. It could be very well his own urge to play forward.
Instead of getting players like Coq who really excels at a single thing, we bought players who can do a little bit of many things. We have Xhaka, Torreira and Gendouzi. I don't see a single role where we can confidently say any of these will truly excel at. No wonder we are struggling to find the right combination in midfield.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Cazorla and Rosicky. Us Gooners appreciated their brilliance, but it never felt like rival fans did.

Both were amongst the best midfielders in the league and wouldn't have looked out of place in any squad in Europe.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Cazorla and Rosicky. Us Gooners appreciated their brilliance, but it never felt like rival fans did.

Both were amongst the best midfielders in the league and wouldn't have looked out of place in any squad in Europe.

Rosicky played like 1 game a year and was built like someone who sells Big Issue. Only Arsenal fans rate him because Arsenal fans have low standards.

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

Coquelin was under appreciated for sure. I do often wonder whether it was instruction that made him play more advanced or him growing in confidence. I liked his passion and his defensive work anyways. Still playing alright even now actually.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Aside from Giroud, the other one I’ve been thinking about is Anelka.

Not in terms of anyone saying he was sh*t but in terms of great Arsenal or even PL strikers he’s almost never talked about in the same breath of Henry or Bergkamp even though as a teenager his peak in 1998/99 was right up there.

I think his shy personality and nomadic career counted against him but he was extremely effective almost everywhere he went. Had great spells at Bolton and Chelsea.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Aside from Giroud, the other one I’ve been thinking about is Anelka.

Not in terms of anyone saying he was sh*t but in terms of great Arsenal or even PL strikers he’s almost never talked about in the same breath of Henry or Bergkamp even though as a teenager his peak in 1998/99 was right up there.

I think his shy personality and nomadic career counted against him but he was extremely effective almost everywhere he went. Had great spells at Bolton and Chelsea.

Agree. Anelka was an incredible player. Think he struggles from his nomadic lifestyle as you said. If he had of stayed at one club, he'd have been a legend.

Arsenal Quotes

When Patrick Vieira came over from AC Milan, he didn’t know a word of English. We gave him accommodation, phone, car and an English teacher. I talked to Patrick in fluent French and before a game I asked in French, can you speak a bit of English to me? Patrick nodded and replied: Tottenham are shit!

David Dein

Latest posts

Top Bottom