• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Arsenal vs Liverpool | 12/11/06

JMT

Dennis10 said:
YuenBiaoFan said:
Your argument doesn't stand up as Adebayor is NOTHING like Bergkamp.

I guess then you can say Henry is nothing like Bergkamp either. When Henry and Anelka arrived at Highbury Bergkamp decided to fall back and take advantage of their pace and finishing instead of scoring the goals himself. I'm not saying Henry should stop scoring goals and insead rely on Ade and RvP, but he could possibly learn something from Dennis when it comes to adapting yourself to different partners. But Bergkamp was a uniqe teamplayer...

I'm sure Henry would adapt perfectly well to RvP as a striking partners if they for once would be given confidence together up front. I have no idea what Wenger has against the two of the pairing up..

One of the best things ive read in a long time on here.

Christofaux

With Jens out could be a chance to see if Almunia can step up and be a first team EPL keeper, i for one will not write him off untill i see a few performances out of him. One particularily bad one against Man U comes to mind but that was a while ago, ide like to see him pull an Aliadiere (and even Flamini) and try revive his arsenal career.

Alfonso

Established Member
Did anyone hear the Toure Gallas post match interview? See how suprised Gallas was to win man of the match! I think these two are the new Will Smith and Martin Lawrence :lol:

Btw what is going on with Gallas's voice? lol. I dont think the reporter or anyone else for that matter could understand what he was saying properly.

Gallas seems to be very popular within the squad.

That was the best game ive seen Eboue play since Juventus at home in the CL. It may have been a blessing in disguise when he got injured this season, as he has come back looking much more fresh and having more urgency in his play. He seemed to be becoming a bit complacent, and loving his hype a little too much before his recent injury.

invisibleman18

Established Member
Brilliant performance and great start to the day. Must've been pretty much a year ago we lost at Anfield. It was my first day of work last summer so had to get up before 6.30am to watch it, and it ruined my whole day. Again it was up at the crack of dawn before my first day of work for this summer, and it made it a good day :D
Great performance and suprising how dire Liverpool were. We may have not been getting the results of late but based on some of the performances and chances we've been creating (last week at West Ham excluded of course) it was looking like an Emirates thrashing wasn't far away for someone. And I guess it was inevitable it would come against a team playing 4-4-2 with 2 centre forwards and not parking their team bus in front of their 6 yard box. Pleasing to see noone afraid to get forward, even Clichy went on an amazing run from his own half, just lacked a bit of experience when he got to the edge of their penalty area, not really having a clue what to do with the ball in that sort of rare position to find himself in. Good to see the confidence in him to do that though.
Hard to get 3 more unlikely scorers, and in Flamini an unlikely starter even. Liverpool are pretty much out of the title "race" now. We are clinging in there. Still can't see us finishing ahead of Man Utd or Chelsea, but we are very much in the hunt for a top 3 place at worst. Hopefully this puts the Emirates hoodoo behind us and we can start beating the mid table clubs who have been holding us to draws thus far.

I have to say that I was also pretty disappointed with Van Persie's handball. It was cheating, and I don't like to see that. I know it didn't lead to a goal or anything due to a correct ref's decision, but I'm just disappointed in him for doing it, same as I was when he dived to win a penalty earlier in the season (was it Hamburg away? I think it was). It's a part of his, (or anyone, regardless of what team for that matter) game that I don't like to see.

Sammer

Established Member
Christofaux said:
With Jens out could be a chance to see if Almunia can step up and be a first team EPL keeper, i for one will not write him off untill i see a few performances out of him.

Almunia is not good enough. He exactly fails in games, where great keepers, like Jens, do well.

Yesterday wasn´t a benchmark at all. He remains a good 2nd choice keeper, but he´ll never be Arsenals No1 of choice.

gunner_down_under

Damn that was a good game. Far from a "Reading-type" performance, but just as well. It reminded me of one of the games from the unbeaten season, we played well, but not unstoppable, but we took our chances well.

And about this RvP cheating thing, ****in get over it will yaz? It all happens in the spur of the moment, and you should be happy he was willing to score one way or the other. There's ****s diving all over the park and ****, and you're criticizing a little handball. Its not like he beat England in a WC game! ;)

Anyway, Wenger said in his press conference that he would have gone to the Ref and told him it was handball if the goal stood!

marco

celestis said:
So what the heck did Pardew say ? Myles seems to think he knows , and that Pardew will be the to cop a fine.Curious.

http://217.204.41.132/cgi/NGoto/2/171060583?1244

Gee, it feels good to be back to winning ways.

Apparently he said "made in england" when they scored..

yesterday though it was a great result and very important one though not sure still on formation as for the first half hour thought we were poor.

as for liverpool, how carrager stayed on the pitch is beyond me..and i still have never seen gerrard play well against us...

p.s worst away support at the emirates so far this season by a mile

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

marco said:
celestis said:
So what the heck did Pardew say ? Myles seems to think he knows , and that Pardew will be the to cop a fine.Curious.

http://217.204.41.132/cgi/NGoto/2/171060583?1244

Gee, it feels good to be back to winning ways.

Apparently he said "made in england" when they scored..

yesterday though it was a great result and very important one though not sure still on formation as for the first half hour thought we were poor.

as for liverpool, how carrager stayed on the pitch is beyond me..and i still have never seen gerrard play well against us...

p.s worst away support at the emirates so far this season by a mile

Not to mention worst away team this season. :wink:

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Think everyone's being harsh on Thierry, to be honest. He was so isolated at times yesterday- there was one time he got the ball up top and with 7 Liverpool shirts closer to him than any Arsenal ones, even his majesty is going to struggle. Another thing I noticed in the second half was that when he pulls away to the left, which he did, we had nothing, absolutely nothing going into the space on the right.
I think Arsène' should return to 442 forthwith, the 451's stabilised us, now let's get motoring.

Kolo's goal was so well taken- and up the other end from me- I could have believed it was Henry. Couldn't believe Liverpool's defending for Gallas' goal, he practically walked onto the ball- two goals in a week from corners? That should tell Arsène that we're better off without le Thierry taking them. Didn't think the first half was particularly great, but when Flamini knocked the ball in just before half time, I think everyone in the ground knew we were gonna be alright.

Couldn't believe how poor Liverpool were, really, or the fact that they finished with 11 on the pitch, and it was great to be able to sing "Arsenal reject" at a certain Mr Pennant. Hope he enjoyed his first trip to our new stadium.

Did anyone else find the period of silence odd with a helicopter hovering just above?

awooga83

Established Member
Yeah i thought the helicopter thing was a bit funny.

As for Henry he played a ball i think to Flamini in the second half and then made a run down the left but Flamini didn't even look and passed it in field and Henry was just standing there almost like he was in shock. But i agree he had no support and was having to try to make things for himself yesterday which didn't come off really.

GUNNERS4L1FE

Established Member
I just watched the game again on SkySports and some of Eboue crossing was superb. His crossing and final ball has improved greatly this season.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
RocktheCasbah said:
Kolo's goal was so well taken- and up the other end from me- I could have believed it was Henry. Couldn't believe Liverpool's defending for Gallas' goal, he practically walked onto the ball- two goals in a week from corners? That should tell Arsène that we're better off without le Thierry taking them.

im sure many have this same view.. Henry can't take a corner to save his life.. he "floats" the ball too much.. too much time for defenders to get under it.. RvP "drives" them, making it harder to react in time.. i think he should certainly take them... that was the first time in a LONG time when i can remember a good Arsenal corner that led to a goal...

and wow was Riise pissed at Stevie G for completely missing his Gallas mark on his goal.. LOL

Pool were actually quite poor yesterday.. they had no spark... Gerrard played like ****, Crouch was non-existent, Gonzalez was terrible, Xabi was useless.... Kuyt was the only one who looked half-way decent out of that match... the rest of their team should be ashamed of how they played....

bethie

pardew is a ****ing ****. that made in england was totally unnecessary. ****ing idiot.

still, they lost. and we won. wee woo what a great monday :lol:

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
"Made In England".. LMAO, what a joke.. no offence Pardew, but you are in 16th, we are in 3rd... notice the top 3 teams have many foreign players on them...

of course, this all coming from a guy who thought the 2 Argies were the second coming of.......

stiiphunn

Established Member
GUNNERS4L1FE said:
I just watched the game again on SkySports and some of Eboue crossing was superb. His crossing and final ball has improved greatly this season.

I know, this is crazy.. The way he improved is simply tremendous!
Last season when he was about to cross, I was simply hoping for the ball not to end up in the stands.
But this season, it's like he is a new man. I'm much more confident when I see him looking up to see if anyone's in the box.

DOUBLE-YOU

The performance against liverpool was extremely encouraging for a number of reasons.

1. they are one of the big boys. So far we have taken maximum points from man utd and liverpool, 2 of the sides seen as our biggest rivals.

2. We scored 3 goals without Henry having a part to play. This shows we can get goals from around the team.

3. We scored 3 goals against a team that doesn't usually concede so many. Man Utd only managed 2 and chelsea just one

4. We didn't play well at all. For the last 2 seasons chelsea have mastered the art of winning without playing well. It is an art we need to develop if we are ever going to win the league.

Other things i noticed from the game.

1. Hleb is a different player when eboue is playing. It seems he has much more confidence. I also noticed that hleb can dribble with both feet. It's a great attribute to have, as defenders won't know which way the attacker will go. Not many players can do this.

2. Henry doesn't seem to run behind defenders anymore. When a break is on, he stops, so he can collect the ball to his feet. At times we need him to stretch the opposition. It also seems that all our football is to feet more now. We don't seem to play as amny passes into space for players to run on to

3. At times cesc needs to stay away from the ball. Like henry, we rely on him a lot and because are game is based on a lot of short passes, we always pass to him in tight areas. At times he needs to come out of the area to create space for himself and others. Watch Paul Scholes if you want to know what i mean.

4. We have a lot of plastic fans. Liverpool out sung us. All our songs were in response to liverpool singing first. Also whats the idea of everyone leaving so early. The team just won 3-0 against liverpool. doesn't that deserve some ovation?

Arsenal Quotes

The coach's role is to make the player understand everything that serves the interest of the game. To do this he must speak to the child within each player, to the adolescent he was and the adult he is now. Too often a coach tends only to speak to the adult, issuing commands for performance, for victory, for reflection, to the detriment of the child who is playing for pleasure, living in the present.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom