• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Draw PL: Liverpool 2 - 2 Arsenal | Sunday, April 9 | KO: 16:30 BST | Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgppt6r7ulte0bcckmoq.gif

Sparrahork

I wouldn’t have even opted for Kiwior. I was calling for Jorginho during the game as were clearly losing control in midfield which seems to be a common theme recently.

I would have gone:

Trossard Martinelli
Xhaka TP5
Zin Jorginho White
KT Gab Hold
Ramsdale
We would have at least had a bit of control in midfield and the wide areas would be covered with Tierney and Zinchenko cutting out the space on the left. Kiwior was a strange one with Tierney available to slot in there.
Kiwi was replicating the holding sub as, erm, he started this game. I can see kt on first as sensible at this point in time, kiwi will come good but lots of pressure on him right now.

Likewise tets will learn that when backs against the wall we replace zinny with kt earlier. Saying that I felt TAA was at his majestic best in the second half and zinny was unfortunate not to block his run, he shouldn't beat himself up too much.

Synical

Miss Superstitious

Kiwi was replicating the holding sub as, erm, he started this game. I can see kt on first as sensible at this point in time, kiwi will come good but lots of pressure on him right now.

Likewise tets will learn that when backs against the wall we replace zinny with kt earlier. Saying that I felt TAA was at his majestic best in the second half and zinny was unfortunate not to block his run, he shouldn't beat himself up too much.
Why do these guys suddenly turn world class against us? It was accepted that TAA has been sh1t this season

Synical

Miss Superstitious

I thought we'd lost this stat until this popped up on my timeline. I guess because Sunday felt a bit like a loss. Anyway, how good is this?

Lakersgooner24

Established Member
Frustrating result given we were two goals up and dominated the majority of the first half in a way few teams do at Liverpool, but a draw isn't the end of the world all things considered.

Granted, our margin for error is pretty much non-existent now. Assuming we get through West Ham and Southampton unscathed, the subsequent gauntlet of fixtures with City (A), Chelsea (H), Newcastle (A), and Brighton (H) is one where it would have been real nice to have had a bit more breathing space.

Liverpool woke up as you'd expect, and you felt an equalizer was coming in the second half. They could have taken all three points on another day tbf. Annoying how this isn't the first time we've conceded a lead late on at Anfield (recall us conceding in the 93rd minute to Benayoun to draw after Arshavin scored in the 90th minute to put us up in his four goal game, not to mention that '08 CL QF albeit on aggregate).

Likely been mentioned, but Arteta's subs were questionable to say the least. KT and Trossard should have been on sooner, and none of us should have needed the benefit of hindsight to realize that bringing on Kiwior, who's been off the pace in every match he's played for us this season, in such a situation was a huge risk that almost directly led to their equalizer.

Think Granit's altercation with TAA is overblown, but still disappointed in him for getting involved (I thought he would have known better by now considering the circumstances where Liverpool had nothing to lose and much to gain). Also can't help but think "what if" on the failed pass to Saka from Martinelli at the death (brilliant backheel from Trossard to Martinelli to set up the attack though, it has to be said).

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Even if Martinelli does find Saka in that situation Alisson was on beast mode with coming out and anticipating danger, no guarantee Saka would have been able to round him. In hindsight perhaps playing in Trossard was the way to go.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
Even if Martinelli does find Saka in that situation Alisson was on beast mode with coming out and anticipating danger, no guarantee Saka would have been able to round him. In hindsight perhaps playing in Trossard was the way to go.
Yes, Allison would likely get a rash foul or red card for out of the box handling than risk Saka's goal. Considering Allison's position, Trossard was in a better place to receive the ball.
When you think how we got battered on the second half, a goal there would be a daylight robbery, so a point there is a decent return.

Mohamed7

However it was Xhaka who had put fire in the game of Liverpool. You are op 0-2, just kill the game. Control it, slow the game down. Make it a boring game.

Why are you pressing on their 16? I mean, the most important stuff was to go to the locker with 0-2 lead but the moment they did find the 1-2, you knew they would score a second one.

Sometimes this team is too naive.

We lost to United because we were chasing down a victory and leaving them the space to counter. A draw at Utd would have been a very good result. We lost to City because we wanted to win the game (we could also have just played for the draw) and today we are up 0-2 and we still play high on the pitch. The first goal should have never happened. There was no reason for White to be so high on the pitch.
Totally agreed. Arteta and the team were wrong to go for the win at OT and against City at home. You should never the initiative away from home against the top six unless it’s a must win game. In both games we got done on the counter.

At Anfield, the team should have known the atmosphere of Liverpool. Xhaka shouldn’t have retaliated after the referee’s didn’t give him the foul. Move on. As you said, we were 2-0 up and they were struggling and the crowd was largely quiet, in shock. Then, that fight lifted them and TAA upped his game. The same issue last season as well. It was 0-0 majority of first half with a balanced game till Arteta and Klopp got that argument and then they really got motivated, pushed up the intensity. We could not handle with Tavaraz ****ting the bed and Tomiyazu the same.

They are a team who extremely benefit from the crowd specially the The Kop.

6666Louis

Some of our players get awfully quit when the going gets tough.

Besides Ramsdale, best players were Partey and Martinelli. Notice who is the best in these games, instead of the once when we're spanking some team.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
I wouldn’t have even opted for Kiwior. I was calling for Jorginho during the game as were clearly losing control in midfield which seems to be a common theme recently.

I would have gone:

Trossard Martinelli
Xhaka TP5
Zin Jorginho White
KT Gab Hold
Ramsdale
We would have at least had a bit of control in midfield and the wide areas would be covered with Tierney and Zinchenko cutting out the space on the left. Kiwior was a strange one with Tierney available to slot in there.
Absolutely. This was the obvious way out.

Hate that we are all discussing all the what ifs in a game we should really have won. Those spurned chances on the break was criminal.

Mohamed7

That's not the right way to go about football isn't it? If the opponents has so many strikers, it means they have little midfield and defence. Get in another midfielder control the match and counter. If you bring in another defender you immediately concede space to them and make it attack vs defence.

I would have understood a little more if Mikel brought on Tierney to play LCB. Kiwior doesn't have minutes and is rusty AF. if he wanted to throw him in he should have given Kiwior minutes in easy game to get up to speed with the league.

We pretty much lost 2 points because of the subs. We gained 1 point because of Ramsdale in the end
My bad.

Having rewatched the full game just now, your assessment on the Kiwior sub was spot on. From the 57th minute up until that sub, we nullified their attack and kept the ball reasonably well. The Jonas sub did help us too because Thiago simply lacked his movements and speed into the box.

Not to mention he subbed Jesus at the same time as Ødegaard. Very poor subs. We lost control of the middle and progression. Should have subbed Ziny for Tierney and Ode for Jorginho in one go. Then Jesus for Trossard a few minutes later.

In the additional time, bring Kiwior for Saka would have been fine. Put Trossard at RM/RW and play without a CF. Basically 51212 to see out the added time.

After the rewatch, I think the main difference between the two halves was Liverpool’s intensity which was greatly helped by their fluke first goal. Miskick from Henderson somehow finding Salah. That gave them a huge boost and belief like our two goals did for us. We had dominant periods of 3-5 minutes after our each goal.

From 47th to 57th minute, we couldn’t deal with them because Xhaka, White, and Holding kept giving the ball away. We definitely need to improve on Xhaka. He can’t dribble and too slow to run with it. We definitely need someone who can take the ball in tighter spaces, on the turn, dribble a player or two from that initial press. Holding kept hoofing it. Saliba was a big miss for ball retention. Otherwise, Rob was very good. White messing simple passes to Saka. I think the only one he got it right was our first goal.

I must say Gabriel the CB was immense. He dominated Salah and that left side. Made him almost ineffective and won many duels against him.

MartiSaka

Join my "Occupy A-M" movement here 🗳
A stat which supports the negative impact that Artetas kiwior and trossard substitutions on 79th minute had on the game. We had largely blunted there dominance in the middle section of the 2nd half until those subs. Obviously they were going to go hard for the final 10 mins but the changes assisted them in their quest.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Xhaka has been brilliant this season, and it wasn't the only reason we dropped points v Pool...but you can't rile up the crowd at Anfield, was a very dumb thing to do with how the game was going at that point.

I am not surprised Pep's only victory at Liverpool, was in the season with no fans...as he is a very emotional manager, the crowd feed off that energy in a way you don't want...you have to be perfect in these big away games.

To beat Liverpool away you need to keep your emotions in check, and that spark cost us imo.

Kuroske

We definitely need to improve on Xhaka. He can’t dribble and too slow to run with it. We definitely need someone who can take the ball in tighter spaces, on the turn, dribble a player or two from that initial press.

Only one players comes in mind: Frenkie de Jong. Forget about Rice and all-in for Frenkie. Barca needs to sell in order to survive.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
A stat which supports the negative impact that Artetas kiwior and trossard substitutions on 79th minute had on the game.

337728179_919853559325754_5148299272650535547_n.png

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
My bad.

Having rewatched the full game just now, your assessment on the Kiwior sub was spot on. From the 57th minute up until that sub, we nullified their attack and kept the ball reasonably well. The Jonas sub did help us too because Thiago simply lacked his movements and speed into the box.

Not to mention he subbed Jesus at the same time as Ødegaard. Very poor subs. We lost control of the middle and progression. Should have subbed Ziny for Tierney and Ode for Jorginho in one go. Then Jesus for Trossard a few minutes later.

In the additional time, bring Kiwior for Saka would have been fine. Put Trossard at RM/RW and play without a CF. Basically 51212 to see out the added time.

After the rewatch, I think the main difference between the two halves was Liverpool’s intensity which was greatly helped by their fluke first goal. Miskick from Henderson somehow finding Salah. That gave them a huge boost and belief like our two goals did for us. We had dominant periods of 3-5 minutes after our each goal.

From 47th to 57th minute, we couldn’t deal with them because Xhaka, White, and Holding kept giving the ball away. We definitely need to improve on Xhaka. He can’t dribble and too slow to run with it. We definitely need someone who can take the ball in tighter spaces, on the turn, dribble a player or two from that initial press. Holding kept hoofing it. Saliba was a big miss for ball retention. Otherwise, Rob was very good. White messing simple passes to Saka. I think the only one he got it right was our first goal.

I must say Gabriel the CB was immense. He dominated Salah and that left side. Made him almost ineffective and won many duels against him.
Yeah. It's alot easier to analyse the game when you are watching in live from Anfield compared to TV which you often don't see the big picture and formation.

Hopefully Arteta learnt from it. He seems to have an Anfield inferiority complex and is over scared of Pool. He talked about it when he was a player and played here for Everton

MartiSaka

Join my "Occupy A-M" movement here 🗳
Yeah. It's alot easier to analyse the game when you are watching in live from Anfield compared to TV which you often don't see the big picture and formation.

Hopefully Arteta learnt from it. He seems to have an Anfield inferiority complex and is over scared of Pool. He talked about it when he was a player and played here for Everton
He has the same problem when playing city; this rhetoric is not going to disappear until he starts getting some results against them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I think this project is going to go BANG

Mikel Arteta after a difficult run of results

Latest posts

Top Bottom