• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Player Ratings - PL: Reading vs Arsenal | 22/10/06

jester

Established Member
so far i'd say kel's were spot on. Some people seem to be rating rosicky quite low - i thought he had another good game for us, and was unlucky not to get a goal.
Fabregas - well, 8 more years of him? yes please.

dvandyke

J Lehmann 8 - Good saves and came out well for crosses. There is no way he should retire, he is at his peak. Pointing the finger at Hunt made me laugh too.

J Hoyte 7 – Very good defensively, looks so much more comfortable on the right. No mistakes and good simple passing.

W Gallas 7 – Good performance again we totally robbed Chelsea. It’s easy to forget that he is playing on his weaker foot and would give us even more in the center or on right.

K Toure 8 – Looked dominant, should be knighted instead of Beckham. I thought Reading might have given us more trouble in the air than they did.

J Djourou 7 – A powerful presence at the back. He seems to grow in stature every game and stood out in the back four. With a bit more experience and if he can cut down the sloppy errors he will be one of the best defenders in Europe.

Gilberto 7 – Shut up about his passing, he plays in the most congested part of the pitch yet gives the ball away less than any other player in our side, the Opta stats prove it. Reading created very little through the midfield, protected the back four well.

A Hleb 8 – Great passing & movement all match, his goal was superb. Runs and runs and runs.

T Rosicky 8 – Like Hleb his movement, touch and passing were superb. I have no doubt he will fill Pires’ boots.

F Fabregas 9 – Sensational performance. Just awesome.

R Van Persie 7 – For a player regarded so highly , his decision making is unbelievably poor at times. Took his goal but must do more.

T Henry 8 – Getting back to his best, scared the hell out of Reading and made some of the space for the midfield to work in. Good play,

scumkilla

kel varnsen said:
Lehmann 7
Hoyte 6
Toure 7
Gallas 7
Djourou 7
Hleb 7,5
Rosicky 7
Gilberto 6
Fabregas 8
Van Persie 6
Henry 8
1 i cant see how you can rate toure the same as Djourou or Gallas who did not have the best of games and 2, Hoyte was our second best defender today but you gave him 6. :roll:
Lehman-7
Hoyte-7.5
Gallas-6.5
Djourou-7
Toure-7.8
Hleb-8
Rosicky-7.5
Gilberto-7
Fabregas-9
RVP-7
Henry-8.5

asajoseph

Established Member
Earlier on in the season I mentioned that I was worried that even when we started winning a few games, we weren't scoring 'Arsenal goals' - everything was messy, scrappy, and more the result of either individual brilliance, good luck, or terrible defending. Today however, we scored three 'Arsenal goals', won a penalty with an 'Arsenal attacking move', and could have had one or two more. I'll talk more aboutthe game in the match thread, but for now...

Jens - 7 - One excellent save, and generally he wasn't really tested, but he flapped a bit immediately before that save, and dropped another one before quickly reclaiming it. Provided some laughs with his finger wagging at Hunt though, and generally wasn't too troubled.

Hoyte - 6 - Didn't offer too much going forward, and lost his man once or twice. A more solid performance again, on the whole, but still doesn't look like a future first-teamer.

Toure - 8 - Some unbelievably good tackles, and really looked to press the ball forward from defence instead of just hoofing it - again, looked like he was finishing the match hurt.

Djourou - 7 - Generally solid, although like most of the defence looked prone to losing concentration on the odd occasion - gave the ball away occasionally, and was lucky not to get caught in possession early in the first half.

Gallas - 7 - Good work going forward, but, as above, perhaps a little creaky defensively, especially when he got caught in possession from a short throw from Jens.

Hleb - 8.5 - Superb goal, great assist for RVP, and practically telepathic link-up play with his fellow midfielders, particularly Rosicky. Started a little slowly, but really picked up as the game wore on - his understanding of the space in and around the box is second to none at the moment.

Gilberto - 8 - The Brazilian's on pretty good form at the moment, made some crunching tackles in midfield, and is really helping the defence out a lot at the moment. He's not pulling up trees going forward, but that's not his job. Assured, and allowed us the freedom today.

Fabregas - 8.5 - More great play from the young Spaniard, showing great vision both on and off the ball today. Made some great runs into the box, did well to win that penalty, passed excellently to Henry for the first and more and more and more...

Rosicky - 8.5 - Another excellent performance, which was unfortunate not to be rewarded with a goal. Really pulled the strings in midfield, linked up superbly with our other players, and on another day would have finished the chance Van Persie gave him.

Henry - 8 - A very cool penalty, and an excellent finish from Fab's cut-back. Gave the ball away 35 yards out a few times, but was intelligent in his running, cool in his finishing, and encouraging in his captaincy.

RVP - 6.5 - A horrible first half, in which a few nice touches, good runs and sweet cross-field balls were completely undone by some horrible decision making. Shot when he should have passed, crossed when he should have shot, and generally got it all a bit wrong. Picked up noticably in the second half however, and whilst his goal was not the most challenging of finishes, he played a beautiful ball through for Rosicky, who should really have scored.

Substitutes:

Generally all get a 6, Adebayor had no impact whatsoever, but he was never going to when we stopped trying to score, which made it difficult for him. Some nice work shielding the ball on the right hand side on one occasion, but otherwise didn't really get involved. Walcott made a few sparky runs, but didn't get too many opportunities to run at players with the ball at his feet. Song made one or two nice passes and a couple of challenges, but also looked a little loose at times, and perhaps not as tight in his game as he needs to be for this level.

stuart

Established Member
lehmann - 6.5 - one great save and other than that had little to do
hoyte - 7 - not bad did what he had to do well
toure - 7.5 - very solid another good game
djourou - 8 - excellent i thought carried ball well
gallas -6.5 - quite quiet i thought but did well in defence when called upon
hleb - 7- got the goal but was quiet until then
fabregas - 8 - another brilliant display from the legend
gilberto - 7 - quiet but steady other than 1 boo boo which could have cost us a goal
rosicky - 8.5 motm - superb game
rvp - 6.5 - scored goal but didnt look comfortable on the left - if hes playing in midfield it should be on the left were he can cross comfortably
henry - 8 - played well and scored twice, some good link up play but i still think he looks quiet this season

Lehmann(8 )- a solid preformance, a 10 for that little warning to Hunt

Djourou(7)- an steady preforfamce, nutmeging Long the highlight of his game

Toure(7)- like most of our defenders had nothing much to do but when called upon did what was needed.

Gallas(8 )- like Toure and Djourou played well.

Hoyte(7)- proves that he can cut it at Premiership level but whether or not Arsenal class, jury is out.

Gilberto(7)- allowed the rest (Fabregas, Hleb, Rosicky and RVP) to roam around the park.

Fabregas(9)- how old is he? Paul Scholes eat your heart out.

Rosicky(7)- two glaring misses but linked up well with Hleb and played a good game

Hleb(8 )- Outstanding, not greedy at all is he.

RVP(6)- a preety lack luster preformance, seemed however to have loss that air of arrogance about him

Henry(9)- no one got the stare from him but all in all proves his worth to the club. £150k is nothing if he plays like this week in week out

The subs took the sting out of the game so they all get a 5.

Fabregas Man of The Match, Henry a close second

JMT

how many motm does fabregas have already... look at his peformances hes playing like a 25 year old whos at the peak of his career

kel varnsen

Established Member
scumkilla said:
kel varnsen said:
Lehmann 7
Hoyte 6
Toure 7
Gallas 7
Djourou 7
Hleb 7,5
Rosicky 7
Gilberto 6
Fabregas 8
Van Persie 6
Henry 8
1 i cant see how you can rate toure the same as Djourou or Gallas who did not have the best of games and 2, Hoyte was our second best defender today but you gave him 6. :roll:

the thing about hoyte, is that as a right back you have to offer something going forward as well. even he was absolutely spotless defensively, i'd still not give him more than a 7 if he didn't offer anything going forward.

as for djourou, i think he played fairly well. even though he is young and inexperienced, i really like how cool and composed he is on the ball. isn't afraid to pass the ball if he's under pressure and even ran with the ball a few times today. i think he's growing into a very fine central defender.

gallas offered more than hoyte going forward and was fairly solid defensively.

ricky1985

Established Member
My ratings would be;

Lehman - did what he had to do very well, distribution showed intelligence, 8.

Hoyte - did well....but no Eboue, good English squad player though, 7.

Gallas - looked a bit tired today, but still did well, 7.

Toure - awesome again, he never seems to have a bad game these days, best defender in the world bar none, 8.

Djourou - very commanding but must keep concentrating for 90mins, 8.

Hleb- started annoyingly, but got better and better and better, 9.

Van Persie - played better than people than give him credit for, he needs to trust his instincts more instead of doing what he thinks will please others, 8.

Fabregas - Oh My GOD!, i've never seen anything like him, he is quite simply a one off, a genius, 10.

Gilberto - done hes job well but for god sake sort your concentration out, so sloppy sometimes, 7.

Rosicky - hes like a cross between Fabregas and Hleb, hes so clever, 8.

Henry - annoyed me in the first half, he was too nonchalant, but he was bang on it by the end, 8.

Subs;

Adebayor - looked good in the little time he had, 7.

Song - i think hes a viable back-up for Gilberto, 7.

Walcott - i think very much like Henry, he is so good that in small games like this when he comes on at 4-0, he just does what he needs to, and doesnt exert himself too much, play him when it matters and you'll see a different animal, ie. U21 vs Germany, you can still see from his little cameos how confident he is cos he doesnt try to go on an amazing run he just keeps it simple and waits for his moment, 6.

ricky1985

Established Member
My ratings would be;

Lehman - did what he had to do very well, distribution showed intelligence, 8.

Hoyte - did well....but no Eboue, good English squad player though, 7.

Gallas - looked a bit tired today, but still did well, 7.

Toure - awesome again, he never seems to have a bad game these days, best defender in the world bar none, 8.

Djourou - very commanding but must keep concentrating for 90mins, 8.

Hleb- started annoyingly, but got better and better and better, 9.

Van Persie - played better than people than give him credit for, he needs to trust his instincts more instead of doing what he thinks will please others, 8.

Fabregas - Oh My GOD!, i've never seen anything like him, he is quite simply a one off, a genius, 10.

Gilberto - done hes job well but for god sake sort your concentration out, so sloppy sometimes, 7.

Rosicky - hes like a cross between Fabregas and Hleb, hes so clever, 8.

Henry - annoyed me in the first half, he was too nonchalant, but he was bang on it by the end, 8.

Subs;

Adebayor - looked good in the little time he had, 7.

Song - i think hes a viable back-up for Gilberto, 7.

Walcott - i think very much like Henry, he is so good that in small games like this when he comes on at 4-0, he just does what he needs to, and doesnt exert himself too much, play him when it matters and you'll see a different animal, ie. U21 vs Germany, you can still see from his little cameos how confident he is cos he doesnt try to go on an amazing run he just keeps it simple and waits for his moment, 6.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
kel varnsen said:
scumkilla said:
kel varnsen said:
Lehmann 7
Hoyte 6
Toure 7
Gallas 7
Djourou 7
Hleb 7,5
Rosicky 7
Gilberto 6
Fabregas 8
Van Persie 6
Henry 8

the thing about hoyte, is that as a right back you have to offer something going forward as well. even he was absolutely spotless defensively, i'd still not give him more than a 7 if he didn't offer anything going forward.

as for djourou, i think he played fairly well. even though he is young and inexperienced, i really like how cool and composed he is on the ball. isn't afraid to pass the ball if he's under pressure and even ran with the ball a few times today. i think he's growing into a very fine central defender.

Neither did Gallas if that's your criteria. Aside from the fact that Hoyte nearly scored with that shot across the keeper, it was his run that took away the Reading left-back and enabled Hleb to cut inside for our 2nd goal.

The kid would have to change his name to Justin Hoytinho to get a bit of credit on here for a good performance.

kel varnsen

Established Member
Big Poppa said:
kel varnsen said:
scumkilla said:
kel varnsen said:
Lehmann 7
Hoyte 6
Toure 7
Gallas 7
Djourou 7
Hleb 7,5
Rosicky 7
Gilberto 6
Fabregas 8
Van Persie 6
Henry 8

Neither did Gallas if that's your criteria. Aside from the fact that Hoyte nearly scored with that shot across the keeper, it was his run that took away the Reading left-back and enabled Hleb to cut inside for our 2nd goal.

The kid would have to change his name to Justin Hoytinho to get a bit of credit on here for a good performance.

gallas made a number of good runs on the outside of rvp, hoyte hardly crossed the midfield line...

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
kel varnsen said:
Big Poppa said:
kel varnsen said:
scumkilla said:
kel varnsen said:
Lehmann 7
Hoyte 6
Toure 7
Gallas 7
Djourou 7
Hleb 7,5
Rosicky 7
Gilberto 6
Fabregas 8
Van Persie 6
Henry 8

gallas made a number of good runs on the outside of rvp, hoyte hardly crossed the midfield line...

I guess we all see what we want to see. But anyway - your ratings, your opinion.

sesquioxide

dvandyke said:
Gilberto 7 – Shut up about his passing, he plays in the most congested part of the pitch yet gives the ball away less than any other player in our side, the Opta stats prove it. Reading created very little through the midfield, protected the back four well.

Thank goodness that someone recognizes Gilberto's worth! And yes, no one will praise him for the many good passes he completes, like that one in the 11th minute that set up the 4-2 man advantage on the counter that should arguably had ended the game right then and there.

If I remember correctly, there were many of us suggesting in the summer that we should buy Kompany and Mascherano and sell Gilberto away? I would suggest that they look up where exactly Hamburg and West Ham are in their respective leagues and ponder about it.

hujja said:
Subs- Ade and Theo came on too late to make much of an impact but what really struck me was just how quickly we transformed from a free-flowing attacking team to Tottenham in just a couple of seconds when Song came on. His first touch was horrible and his headers always went back to the opposition.

I think that was exactly what Wenger wanted when he took Rosicky off. If he wanted to try out Song but keep up the attack, he could have replaced Gilberto. 4-0 was enough for Wenger to go home happy, and I can well understand.

PaulDavis

Starting 11s:

Jens Lehmann - 8

Justin Hoyte - 7.5

William Gallas - 7

Kolo Toure - 8

Johan Djourou - 7

Gilberto Silva - 7.5

Francesc Fabregas - 8.5

Tomas Rosicky - 8

Alexandr Hleb - 8

Robin van Persie - 6.5

Thierry Henry - 8

Substitutes:

Emmanuel Adebayor - 6

Theo Walcott - 6

Alex Song - 6.5

PaulDavis

kel varnsen said:
Big Poppa said:
kel varnsen said:
scumkilla said:
kel varnsen said:
Lehmann 7
Hoyte 6
Toure 7
Gallas 7
Djourou 7
Hleb 7,5
Rosicky 7
Gilberto 6
Fabregas 8
Van Persie 6
Henry 8

To be fair to the kid, I think he played very well tonight. He defended impressively, ventured forward on a number of occassions (he almost score!) and kept posession well. In my honest opinion, Hoyte impressed me more than Gallas.

GuNNerZ4LiFe

Hoyte's best game so far this season. He looks way more comftorable on the right side of defense. I mean sure he didnt offer much going forward but we didnt really need it. I would give him a 7.5

weelip

I thought some of the members here are too cirtical on Hoyte. To me, he did very well. I would certainly give him at least a 7. Also i thought Van Persie had a pretty on off performance. Would not give him anything more than a 6.5. And that includes taking his goal into account.

Soler

Established Member
Lehmann: 7
Hoyte: 7
Toure: 8
Djourou: 7
Gallas: 6
Hleb: 8
Fabregas: 9 (man of the match)
Gilberto: 7
Rosicky: 6.5
van Persie: 6.5
Henry: 8

Adebayor: 6
Walcott: 6
Song: 6

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal have always been the club of the people, the streets. Arsenal was one of the first clubs to really have black players, so it did represent the mass of the UK and how London is. I hope people at the club know that and who are they playing for.

Thierry Henry

Daily Transfer Updates

Monday, May 20

Thomas Partey is wanted by clubs in Saudi Arabia, with just one year left on his deal [Evening Standard]

Pedro Neto & Nico Williams are admired by the club, while they have also watched Amadou Onana and Martin Zubimendi this season [Evening Standard]

Cedric Soares confirms his departure from the club [Arsenal.com]

Borussia Dortmund will rival Arsenal to sign Fenerbache LB Ferdi Kadıoğlu [Takvim]

Latest posts

Top Bottom