• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Win Premier League: Arsenal 1 - 0 Manchester City | Sunday 8th October | KO: 16:30 BST | Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

plarsenalmancitywk17.jpg

Prediction
Arsenal 1-2 Man City

1macca1

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I don’t understand what he’s trying to conclude to achieve clarity here. It wouldn’t have been overturned if it had been given as a red but wasn’t even enough to have Oliver re-check his decision of a yellow at the time? Sounds like VAR are instructed to go along the lines of the ref is always right.

Seeing it this time, I noticed kovacic lunges in with both feet off the ground, so he has no control and it’s from behind. It’s as clear a straight red card as punching the referee is.

Also, why is VAR unable to get involved in yellow card offences? The whole point of the system is for accuracy in rules of the game implementation.

1macca1

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
If he’s saying the straight card decision was the wrong one, shouldn’t kovacic receive a retrospective ban?

1macca1

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
There are reviews of every pl game and only sometimes are retrospective actions taken. When they’re not, these reviews are for refereeing development only. We’ve had these reviews for years and we’re still talking about the same type of decisions. It’s time for them to exercise more authority.

I’m in favour of VAR, the “it hampers the flow of the game/spirit of the game” ignores the fair play marketing they had for years. They need to clamp down in the rules.

Rant over. For now. Possibly.

coleio

I don’t understand what he’s trying to conclude to achieve clarity here. It wouldn’t have been overturned if it had been given as a red but wasn’t even enough to have Oliver re-check his decision of a yellow at the time? Sounds like VAR are instructed to go along the lines of the ref is always right.

Seeing it this time, I noticed kovacic lunges in with both feet off the ground, so he has no control and it’s from behind. It’s as clear a straight red card as punching the referee is.

Also, why is VAR unable to get involved in yellow card offences? The whole point of the system is for accuracy in rules of the game implementation.

Why is he talking about VAR not getting involved in the second incident because they can't intervene in yellow cards? WHO CARES?!

That's not even the point in this instance. Michael Oliver should have known Kovacic was on thin ice if the first yellow went to a VAR check for a red, so how on earth he thinks that second yellow is not a bookable offence is beyond me. It stinks of corruption or PGMOL getting involved beforehand.

There is no way that any other player on that pitch gets away with the foul on Rice without a booking. Even on the eye test for a player that isn't booked, it's a yellow. The fact Kovacic really hadn't learned his lesson from his first lucky escape must surely have made Oliver's decision that much easier. It's a terrible decision not to book him again and send him off. Cannot stand that little rat or any of this cadre of refs to be honest.

1macca1

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Why is he talking about VAR not getting involved in the second incident because they can't intervene in yellow cards? WHO CARES?!

That's not even the point in this instance. Michael Oliver should have known Kovacic was on thin ice if the first yellow went to a VAR check for a red, so how on earth he thinks that second yellow is not a bookable offence is beyond me. It stinks of corruption or PGMOL getting involved beforehand.

There is no way that any other player on that pitch gets away with the foul on Rice without a booking. Even on the eye test for a player that isn't booked, it's a yellow. The fact Kovacic really hadn't learned his lesson from his first lucky escape must surely have made Oliver's decision that much easier. It's a terrible decision not to book him again and send him off. Cannot stand that little rat or any of this cadre of refs to be honest.
You have raised a bit of an internal debate for me. Should an offence be viewed as an isolated event and punished accordingly or should previous cautions be considered that the player is not learning and represents a safety issue to other players if not sent off? A bit like accumulating fouls resulting in soft yellows. I’m not sure.

bastun

Player:Saka

Moments like these need to be capitalised on. Jesus (Nketiah, Ødegaard and Saka too to be honest) gets into good positions, but dont have that awareness to look up and find the box crashers more.
Saka not having the awareness ?? I usually like your posts but completely disagree here. Saka is our best final third player in our team. Always knows where his teammates are. Always scans the surrounding. He rarely makes a pass which didn't find anyone.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Saka not having the awareness ?? I usually like your posts but completely disagree here. Saka is our best final third player in our team. Always knows where his teammates are. Always scans the surrounding. He rarely makes a pass which didn't find anyone.

I think he is slightly better than the rest in terms of his box awareness. And to be clear, I mean awareness of other players in the box, possibly in better positions on goal, as seen in that clip.

Jesus, Nketiah, Saka, even Ødegaard of late are quite blinkered in the box. It makes sense to want to have a chance at goal more, but you need to check out for those crashing the box.

We still need to find that balance, when to go and when to find that extra pass as the right time for our players joining in that final phase.

bastun

Player:Saka
I think he is slightly better than the rest in terms of his box awareness. And to be clear, I mean awareness of other players in the box, possibly in better positions on goal, as seen in that clip.

Jesus, Nketiah, Saka, even Ødegaard of late are quite blinkered in the box. It makes sense to want to have a chance at goal more, but you need to check out for those crashing the box.

We still need to find that balance, when to go and when to find that extra pass as the right time for our players joining in that final phase.
I can't remember something similar done by Saka. He usually picks his shots and when to pass quite well. I think this is his biggest strenght. Seeing the whole picture and knowing where his teammates are.
For the rest I agree. Nketiah especially is like a deer in headlights. Jesus and Ødegaard a bit more aware but the same. Ødegaard recently started to shoot from everywhere when there is a teammate in a lot better position.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
I can't remember something similar done by Saka. He usually picks his shots and when to pass quite well. I think this is his biggest strenght. Seeing the whole picture and knowing where his teammates are.
For the rest I agree. Nketiah especially is like a deer in headlights. Jesus and Ødegaard a bit more aware but the same. Ødegaard recently started to shoot from everywhere when there is a teammate in a lot better position.

I could be a bit harsh on Saka, Ill admit. He is at 10 G/A already this season.

Let me watch some of our key matches more, and get back to you. You are right and I could be wrong on him in particular.

BergMan

Betrayed by Xhaka
I don’t think the first Kovacic challenge was a straight red card but the second was definitely a second yellow.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Martinelli v City...

_38248580_henrycelebs.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Play for the name on the front of the shirt and they’ll remember the name on the back.

Tony Adams
Top Bottom