• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: Lionelson

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

He'll have to go to the championship at this rate tbh, I don't see any PL club, unless it's one of the newly promoted ones in the summer, really being that interested especially as a starter, a few might use him as a bench option but I honestly think he'd have to go to a team like Brentford or Bournemouth if they're still in the championship next season.

8kN7eOcM_400x400.png

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
An admittedly poor 60 mins against Newcastle in the cup makes me wonder if Smith-Rowe hadn't played so well against Chelsea would we be seeing him as regularly as we are now? Those are high standards. Shame they don't apply to every member of our squad.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
He should have left on loan in January. Sure the Championship probably isn't where you'd ideally want him playing but he needs to be playing week in week out at a fairly competitive level.

Him ripping it up at under 23 level, we all know he can do that. It's about getting his confidence and self belief up to do it as senior level.

The more time passes the lower he falls down the pecking order and the less chance he has of making it here.

I'm starting to question his mentality to be honest.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
He should have left on loan in January. Sure the Championship probably isn't where you'd ideally want him playing but he needs to be playing week in week out at a fairly competitive level.

Him ripping it up at under 23 level, we all know he can do that. It's about getting his confidence and self belief up to do it as senior level.

The more time passes the lower he falls down the pecking order and the less chance he has of making it here.

I'm starting to question his mentality to be honest.

Yeah, I'd honestly love to hear the story behind him not going on loan in the winter window. Absolutely baffling.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Is Nelson scared of going on loan after what happened in Germany? I don't get it. Pretty sure he had the opportunity to go in the summer and in jan and he didnt seem very enthusiastic to do so.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Nelson playing u23 reminds me of that 26 year old that still goes to uni bar crawls or freshers week to try and chat to 18/19 year old girls. It's just a bit sad. I like him a lot but this year has been a waste. Every one was so fussed about Saliba that we forgot that the club has done the same thing with Reiss. For the sake of his own career, I hope he goes out on loan or pushes for a move. Arteta just doesn't see it with him and is hellbent to make Willian look like a footballer.

Sweet'n'Soulful

Yet another banned account of Jury
It really is amazing how many potentially world class and should-be nailed-on starters this club are wasting right now. Willock, AMN, Eddie, Saliba, Nelson... Guendouzi. Sold Emi as well, another world beater. That’s the best part of potentially certain definitely maybe half a billion worth of talent. I mean, when you look at our record for churning out proven high class quality from Hale End, what more proof that we’re doing it wrong do you need?

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
Nelson playing u23 reminds me of that 26 year old that still goes to uni bar crawls or freshers week to try and chat to 18/19 year old girls. It's just a bit sad. I like him a lot but this year has been a waste. Every one was so fussed about Saliba that we forgot that the club has done the same thing with Reiss. For the sake of his own career, I hope he goes out on loan or pushes for a move. Arteta just doesn't see it with him and is hellbent to make Willian look like a footballer.

Nelson is still just 21, so him getting game time in U23 for fitness is not that bad. You analogy fits more in the Jenkinson situation. I think the guy was still playing U23 semi regularly at 27.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
Is Nelson scared of going on loan after what happened in Germany? I don't get it. Pretty sure he had the opportunity to go in the summer and in jan and he didnt seem very enthusiastic to do so.

I think something weird happened with Nagelsman. The whole situation was bizarre. Nelson was getting game time early on and scoring crucial goals. Game winners and goals to salvage a point. Then he stopped getting picked. Nagelsman made it sound like it might have been because he wasn't understanding the system or some attitude issues. I think he then got injured in the winter months, had some personal things he needed to deal with and the rest of the loan just fizzled out.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

It really is amazing how many potentially world class and should-be nailed-on starters this club are wasting right now. Willock, AMN, Eddie, Saliba, Nelson... Guendouzi. Sold Emi as well, another world beater. That’s the best part of potentially certain definitely maybe half a billion worth of talent. I mean, when you look at our record for churning out proven high class quality from Hale End, what more proof that we’re doing it wrong do you need?
Lool yep. I know every fan base overhype their academy players. But surely we are the worst at this?

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

A lot of this is up for debate but one point that shouldn’t be missed is that many of these players have the advantage of having played together for over a decade already.

You can see the way Saka and ESR play off each other is almost telepathic, and I find it a shame that we haven’t seen more of them playing together at the same time.

We should consider the Real Madrid approach of selling with a buy back clause for those we don’t want to keep. We get revenue we can spend in the near term and the players get a genuine long term opportunity.

Sweet'n'Soulful

Yet another banned account of Jury
A lot of this is up for debate but one point that shouldn’t be missed is that many of these players have the advantage of having played together for over a decade already.

You can see the way Saka and ESR play off each other is almost telepathic, and I find it a shame that we haven’t seen more of them playing together at the same time.,

We should consider the Real Madrid approach of selling with a buy back clause for those we don’t want to keep. We get revenue we can spend in the near term and the players get a genuine long term opportunity.
I think we're seeing the fruits of it with ESR and Saka, but ultimately those that are either not here or cant get games, don't really deserve them, because they're not better than what we have and can't be consistent. ESR and Saka have been absolute revelations, the like of which I can't remember seeing before at the club. This is lightening in a bottle stuff. It'd be great to have our version of the class of 92--and you can see the advantages of having real quality grow around each other--but 2 will have to do for us!

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Agree here, and honestly I think a transfer is the best outcome for Reiss - although he probably will try to stay at the club going by how he's resisted going on loan. I appreciate that he's a proper Gooner and wants to stay but I don't think it's wise considering the lack of opportunity and what he would have to do in order to guarantee those opportunities.

From his POV (speculating of course), the best realistic outcome is probably a contract renewal and a whole year out on loan next season to make up for lost time. He also would need to be humble and take a Championship loan so that he can get the 40+ games he needs to build momentum. It will either fatten up his value for a sale or (best case scenario) he comes back ready to compete for first team football a la ESR.

I was speaking to another fan, and he said to me that he thinks Reiss has plateaued and this is as good as he's gonna get. I don't think that is true yet but it will be interesting to see what happens next season. Hopefully he can prove his doubters wrong once and for all - away from Arsenal or otherwise.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I think we're seeing the fruits of it with ESR and Saka, but ultimately those that are either not here or cant get games, don't really deserve them, because they're not better than what we have and can't be consistent. ESR and Saka have been absolute revelations, the like of which I can't remember seeing before at the club. This is lightening in a bottle stuff. It'd be great to have our version of the class of 92--and you can see the advantages of having real quality grow around each other--but 2 will have to do for us!

Well it’s a bit of a chicken and egg isn’t it? How are they supposed to be consistent and prove their worth when they aren’t treated as important? It’s a two way street.

I very much doubt ESR would’ve got the chance to start at number 10 against Chelsea if we didn’t have the freak covid isolation requirements. Even if he did, he benefited greatly from having that loan spell last season to build his confidence. Saka was already a regular when Arteta arrived.

The rest were literally tearing it up in the Europa league earlier this season playing exciting cohesive football only to find themselves either playing for U23s or used as sporadic cover in league games. If they didn’t perform that was it.

Look at the way AMN and Willock have performed so far on their loans. Sometimes it’s just consistent minutes. AMN bossed midfield in a 10 man West Brom side, while people here laugh that he’s anything other than utility full back.

We aren’t looking for a class of 92, but a sustained approach to building a strong squad in a financial constrained environment.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
What the hell is going on with Nelson. Surely by not going on loan he’s been led to believe that he can make the squad?

Yet Nketiah and Willian are always picked ahead of him. Don’t care whether you think he has superstar potential or not we’re throwing away millions by doing nothing.

Kav

Established Member

You know hes only 21 right? I agree that he needs consistent game time and he should have left to get it but i also think Arteta told him to stay and fight and that he would be given opportunities. He has also had some injury problems that has stalled his development,kind of like Tierney in his first season.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
If he was going to break into the team it was going to happen this season. He's not being given minutes and when he has, he hasn't delivered. One final loan and if things don't work out, sell him.

No point in having 22 year olds taking the prospects places which 17 to 19 year olds should have.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Just read they're cashing in in the Summer.

Bad news but on the cards. At least will be nice to see him get regular football.

Arsenal Quotes

It was a unique moment, a football fairytale. Was there anyone left who still believed I could give that kind of performance? Probably only Arsène Wenger.

Per Mertesacker on Arsenal’s FA Cup Final win over Chelsea on 2017 being his only appearance that season

Latest posts

Top Bottom