• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Premier League | Liverpool vs Arsenal | 27/08/2017 | 16:00 BST | Sky Sports

What will the result be for this match?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jae

Just watched the Liverpool v Hoffenheim game... Observations:

That front four of Firminho, Mane, Salah and Wjinaldum are dangerous (especially Mane) - they play full tilt and close everything down.

Their back 4 (5 if you include Mignolet) are utterly terrible, even worse than ours. Steven Gerrard had the gaul to call us "soft" after the Stoke game, but these guys are far worse. The game finished 4-2 (6-3 on aggregate) but Hoffenheim could have easily scored a good 3 more than that, Gnabry missed at least 2 open goals. Every time they went up top they looked like scoring.

Mignolet is useless, comes out and flaps at every ball put into the box, lost count how many times he either missed it completely or dropped it, he dropped it TWICE on one occasion.

Liverpool are naive tactically, they were 6-2 up on aggregate with 20 minutes to go and they were throwing 10 men up like they were 2-1 down, they got caught out on the break numerous times.

If we try and play them at their own game and outscore them then we are going to lose, badly at that. We need to play smart, either nick a goal from a free kick/corner or hit them on the break once they overcommit (which they will). After that we need to try and keep possession and let them wear themselves down with their pressing.

Giroud has to start this one because of his threat from set pieces.

Cech
Koscielny Holding Monreal
Chamberlain Elneny Xhaka Kolasinac
Özil
Giroud Lacazette

IslingtonBornandbred

I'd personally bin the wing back formation. I'd go:

599df8e506d45.jpg

Or, slightly more defensive. Welbeck and Ox doing the dirty work on the wings. Giroud holding up the ball.
599dfa0e23fdd.jpg

Last edited:

Crazycarrots

If we can defend well and hold the midfield we will nick it. There's normally lots of goals in this fixture though so it should be a good one!

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
I think we need to switch to a more stable system for this game in order to match their pressing.

Welbeck needs to make way for Elneny and have Ramsey on right wing, so when they have possession, Ramsey can also fill in midfield and an extra man there.

Defending (4-3-1-2):

Cech
Bellerin - Mustafi - Koscielny - Monreal (Kolasinac)
Ramsey Xhaka Elneny
Özil
Lacazette Sanchez

Attacking (4-2-3-1):

Cech
Bellerin - Mustafi - Koscielny - Monreal (Kolasinac)
Xhaka Elneny
Ramsey Özil Sanchez
Lacazzette

But Wenger will name the following 3-4-3:

Cech
Mustafi - Koscielny - Monreal
Bellerin - Xhaka - Ramsey - Kolasinac
Özil - Lacazzete - Sanchez (Iwobi)

Aevi

Hale End FC
I'd play Elneny for this one. Not too sure about Ramsey retaining possession or keeping his position in the middle of the pitch.

Elneny is the king of pass completion especially when pressed. It's obvious that Liverpool will be pressing us in midfield.

I'd go with this:
Cech
Mustafi Koscielny Monreal
Ox Elneny Xhaka Kola
Ramsey Özil
Lacazette

Subs: Ospina, Bellerin, Holding, Coquelin, Iwobi, Alexis, Giroud
Ramsey playing next to Özil will provide more protection in midfield as he can slot back and he could also cause the defence of Liverpool a lot of problems with his late runs.
I like it. That's the position in which Ramsey annihilated teams for Wales two summers ago, I reckon he'd do well there.

tcahill

We've been playing good attacking football in the 3-4-3. Sort out the defence and we'll win this by several goals.

Kos coming back is a huge relief, it means we can play our two best CBs and have Monreal at LCB where he can actually play well. Also means Seo is free to play his best role. Can choose between Ox or Bellerin at RWB. I'd prefer Iwobi to start ahead of Welbeck but I can't see Wenger doing this. The other option I saw on here that I liked was Ramsey at CAM, and playing Elneny next to Xhaka.

Marmaduke

Still think its well insane that Ox, Welbeck, and Walcott get loads of opportunities each season while Campbell doesn't get any serious consideration.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
In his prime 2 or 3 years Arshavin was absolutely incredible, he gave me more moments of "magic" as a fan than most other players.

Özil has been a top player for much longer and hence I'd still rate him higher overall for consistency.
I agree, there were magic moments. But elite is a huge stretch. Elite players go to top clubs. Elite players show consistency. Elite players push hard for the top honours. Arshavin was just another talented dude who was extremely lazy.

The list of clubs Arshavin played for..... We're the biggest club there. Hardly an elite career.I loved him, I really did. I expected more and I think justifiably. But elite is a term reserved for truly class players. Zidane was elite.

1999–2009 Zenit Saint Petersburg 238 (51)
1999–2000Zenit-2 56 (7)
2009–2013 Arsenal 105 (23)
2012Zenit Saint Petersburg (loan) 10 (3)
2013–2015 Zenit Saint Petersburg 35 (3)
2015–2016 Kuban Krasnodar 8 (0)
2016– Kairat

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
"He looks ready, he has not played for long time so will have to decide what I do with him.

"We have to make that decision. We play on Sunday and he looks in good shape."
Will he be involved though? It will only be off the bench if he is.
Which is silly because he is probably still the fittest person in the squad and has more recent game time under his belt than any other player in the league! But you know, Wenger

Don D

I agree, there were magic moments. But elite is a huge stretch. Elite players go to top clubs. Elite players show consistency. Elite players push hard for the top honours. Arshavin was just another talented dude who was extremely lazy.

The list of clubs Arshavin played for..... We're the biggest club there. Hardly an elite career.I loved him, I really did. I expected more and I think justifiably. But elite is a term reserved for truly class players. Zidane was elite.

1999–2009 Zenit Saint Petersburg 238 (51)
1999–2000Zenit-2 56 (7)
2009–2013 Arsenal 105 (23)
2012Zenit Saint Petersburg (loan) 10 (3)
2013–2015 Zenit Saint Petersburg 35 (3)
2015–2016 Kuban Krasnodar 8 (0)
2016– Kairat
He was a player that loved his home country, but both at THIER peak I'd easily take arshavin. He was a big game player that could win you games, Özil ain't winning us s*** because he has no grit. As for consistency none of them have it, the only top team Özil played for was Real Madrid and I can name a few worser players than arshavin that have played for real

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

People say why I did lie on the floor after the goal, they think I was tired. But I think I was a lot cleverer than people thought.

Charlie George reveals it was all a time-wasting plan after the double winning goal
Top Bottom