• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ronaldinho vs Neymar

Who was better?

• Total voters

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Henry
0 Ballón d'Or

Michael Owen
1 Ballón d'Or
TBD Michae Owen was elite when he won it. Henry should have won it. I don't think Neymar should have won it.

Also, just pointing to the stats man that when it came down to it one has won the best player in the world award and one hasn't. Stats can show whatever you want it to. Football is the beautiful game and it's not because of some numbers on a screen.

sergio_giorgini

Dying on Mt.Neymar Hill
I loVe tHe BeAuTifUL nUmbErS oN a ScReeN gAmE.

Oh do you.

Ronaldinho
1 Ballón d'Or

Neymar
0 Ballón d'Or

We’ve already established that the Ballon d’Or argument doesn’t hold much weight. Dinho played in an era where his closest rivals were Lamps & Stevie G. Zidane & R9 were well past their prime by then. Put Dinho in the Messi/CR7 era and it’s highly unlikely he’d be seeing a ballon d’Or neither.

Besides Michael Owen & Cannavaro have Ballon d’Ors while the likes of Henry, Iniesta & Xavi didn’t but who most would still agree will definitely be ranked higher in the football echelons.

sergio_giorgini

Dying on Mt.Neymar Hill
TBD Michae Owen was elite when he won it. Henry should have won it. I don't think Neymar should have won it.

Also, just pointing to the stats man that when it came down to it one has won the best player in the world award and one hasn't. Stats can show whatever you want it to. Football is the beautiful game and it's not because of some numbers on a screen.

Except my argument wasn’t only about stats was it, even though stats are a demonstrably better determining factor, especially when comparing players of the same positions, than someone’s smile or personality. Neymar is also the more complete footballer who’s shown more consistent good form throughout his career.

Ronaldinho had a couple of top years at Barca where he was fantastic to watch but his career pre and post those 2 years were rather mediocre.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
In 10 years hardly anyone will be talking about Neymar. Unless it's the definition of entitledness, petulance, wasted potential.
Think it'll be the opposite with those who are old enough to have watched his entire career, when he's retired people won't remember so much his (perceived) annoying personality but will rewatch the same skill comps you see Ronaldinho in now. Kinda like with Mayweather who many couldn't give his dues until retirement.

Ronaldinhos peak was absurdly high but he had checked out in his mid 20s ffs, guy won two titles and a CL in all his time in Europe. At his best he was your favourite ballers favourite baller but his time at the top was way too short, not blasphemy to say Neymar played more good football in his career than he has.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
I'll preface this by saying that I think Neymar is a supremely gifted footballer, but since we're into the 1% of talent, a lot of things come into play when rating both player.

Let's start with the obvious: Neymar's peak was barely two seasons as well and was helped tremendously by having Messi and Suarez next to him. Ronaldinho had people at the Bernabeu giving him a standing ovation.
Impossible to argue with a Brazilian about this and generally your opinion is based on more information especially off the pitch stuff but I don't think it's fair to say Neymars peak was just two seasons. You're basically discounting his entire PSG time as well as half his time in Spain.

He was kicked to bits in France and people love their farmer league jokes but really the guys showed outrageous stuff there which if done by anyone else would've made headlines. He moves to City instead of PSG he'd 100% have made an absolute mockery of the PL and people would be calling him goat, what if compilations because of his injuries etc

People are too easily swayed by their dislike of the guy (again in your case a lot more understandable than with most others). In terms of talent he's up there with literally anyone.

sergio_giorgini

Dying on Mt.Neymar Hill
In 10 years hardly anyone will be talking about Neymar. Unless it's the definition of entitledness, petulance, wasted potential.

Ronaldinho will still be mentioned on shortlists with the GOATS as a 'what if', because his peak was up there with the greatest to ever do it.

It was short lived, not because he wasn't good enough, but because the man chose to enjoy (night)life, rather than sacrifice everything for his career.

Good thing there's no poll for this thread as it could have been embarrassing.

Embarrassing how clueless and clouded by nostalgia some of y’all are yeah.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Except my argument wasn’t only about stats was it, even though stats are a demonstrably better determining factor, especially when comparing players of the same positions, than someone’s smile or personality. Neymar is also the more complete footballer who’s shown more consistent good form throughout his career.

Ronaldinho had a couple of top years at Barca where he was fantastic to watch but his career pre and post those 2 years were rather mediocre.
And my argument wasnt just about smiles. But that's what you boiled it down to.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
Damn, the poll results so far are even bigger than when @GDeep™ lost in the opening round of the PL Draft

Juan Matas Beard

Pronouns: dat, guy 🫶
Trusted ⭐

Why are people posting clips of Dinho showing his skills like that’s supposed to prove anything or settle the debate? 😂

Anyone can do that. Btw, Neymar arguably makes it look easier.

I didn't say this. I voted Neymar - I just admire Ronaldinho in his peak more however.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Impossible to argue with a Brazilian about this and generally your opinion is based on more information especially off the pitch stuff but I don't think it's fair to say Neymars peak was just two seasons. You're basically discounting his entire PSG time as well as half his time in Spain.

He was kicked to bits in France and people love their farmer league jokes but really the guys showed outrageous stuff there which if done by anyone else would've made headlines. He moves to City instead of PSG he'd 100% have made an absolute mockery of the PL and people would be calling him goat, what if compilations because of his injuries etc

People are too easily swayed by their dislike of the guy (again in your case a lot more understandable than with most others). In terms of talent he's up there with literally anyone.

I have a lot of sympathy for Neymar being kicked around and not getting protected, and I do think he's super talented, but this being an excercise in who's better, so those things have come into context for me.

Ronaldinho was never a saint and has had plenty of off field problems. He was also very meek off the pitch, just like Neymar, but delivered on it when he had to.

Furthermore, I find it funny that the whole hookers and blackjack and headbands angle is being thrown around when Neymar is a serial party animal and whose brand was all about his crazy hairstyles up until recently.

At the end of the day, we're talking about greatness here and I honestly don't think Neymar has achieved that.

The Brazilian slant should be read as: this guy had the talent to be a generational footballer and wasted it.

Think of a disappointed parent seeing their super intelligent kid subscribing to twitter blue.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Should have been Neymar, looked like it would be Neymar. He had the statistical numbers to go along with the ridiculous natural talent.

The move to PSG + incredibly bad luck with injuries ended up with him having just as short a peak as Dinho, if not shorter.

Dinho wins this and it hurts me to say so.

Arsenal Quotes

I am not scared to spend money. If you go out with me one night, you will understand that.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom