• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Premiership 09/10- Our race.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamLord

Established Member
We ARE on a different level oft. It's one thing doing it for 3 months, it's another doing it for a large part of the season as Chelsea have done. For whatever reason(s). Injuries only proves that the squad isn't ready - either we have too many injury prone players, or we don't have good enough back ups.

Accomplished

Established Member
I don't see how anyone can say we're on a "different level" when, if we had a real goalkeeper, we'd be about 10 points ahead of where we are now...

OK we're not as good as them, because our GK isn't as good, but one GK doesn't mean we're a different level...

otfgoon

Established Member
That doesn't matter, he said when Chelsea are on form we (under Wenger) cannot get close to that level. When we were on form we were scoring a record amount of goals and tearing teams apart on a weekly basis.

Abs

Established Member
dreamLord said:
We ARE on a different level oft. It's one thing doing it for 3 months, it's another doing it for a large part of the season as Chelsea have done. For whatever reason(s). Injuries only proves that the squad isn't ready - either we have too many injury prone players, or we don't have good enough back ups.

This is the same team that could have lost 6-7 goals against Sp**s few days ago

Zico

Established Member
otfgoon said:
Zico said:
We're 8 points and 22 goals behind Chelsea after their destruction of Stoke. Saddening, really. We are not in the same class as these guys, and don't tell me that we also beat up some teams in September. That was long ago, before we transformed into an uninspired, grind it-out team.

Sometimes I look at a team like Chelsea on song and think to myself, Wenger will not get Arsenal to that level.

You can't just ignore the first half of the season because it completely destroyes your argument.

Sir, I only care about the entire season. Unfortunately, the season is not played over 15 rounds.

As for those who dust off the old injury argument, again, a team should be built to last. We cannot use that argument again, having used it in 2008. We don't have enough depth of quality players, simple.

otfgoon

Established Member
Zico said:
Sir, I only care about the entire season. Unfortunately, the season is not played over 15 rounds.

Your point was clearly about when both teams are "on song".

But if you want to change your argument then fine, it's still a load of crap. Over the whole season, Wenger got Arsenal to a much higher level than this Chelsea side in previous seasons.

But considering you've been going around saying how everthing and everyone is better than Arsenal for a while now I'm not surprised to see you coming out with this nonsense.

Zico

Established Member
Nonsense?

1. We are talking about this season, this season's Arsenal team, and this season's Chelsea team. The table does not lie.

2. I'm not sure I have said 'everyone is better than Arsenal'. I have said on this forum that Chelsea, United and Barca are better than us. Do you care to argue that?

otfgoon

Established Member
We're not talking about this season, to quote

Sometimes I look at a team like Chelsea on song and think to myself, Wenger will not get Arsenal to that level.

Unless you're saying Wenger won't get Arsenal to that level in the next two games, you're clearly talking about beyond this season and seasons past.

You also mentioned when Chelsea are "on song" which is an odd thing to say if you're talking about the whole season.

And no you've not said everyone is better than Arsenal but I didn't mean literally. I can't be bothered to go into detail but I've seen you praise other managers/players before having a dig at our own in a very similar ways as above.

General

Established Member
Agree with Quincy. We have dished our fair share of thrashings but you can expect us to concede a sloppy goal along the way. I just cannot see this Arsenal team (fully fit if you like) getting out there when the pressure is on and trashing an inherently aggressive team like Stoke 7-0. In this regard, we are definitely a level below Chelsea. This may be hard for some of you to swallow but there is plenty of evidence out there to back the point. This is not to say that the chavs and mancs don’t have their flaws either because they do but after 36 games, it is not difficult to see that they have a bit more professional than us, amongst the few other things they do better than us.

Zico

Established Member
And I have also praised Wenger and his team in recent weeks for what is overall a good, but not great, campaign. You can look up my posts for confirmation.

I like to think of myself as being fair and objective. I like Arsenal, but I also like football in general and when even vile characters like Ferguson, Mourinho or Bellamy excel, I will praise them.

I will give you that we have looked good at points this season, but typically only when we have a full-team, save the Porto home game and 20 minutes of the Villa game (when RvP was out). Otherwise, we are typically not a clinical, fluid machine on both offense and defense. I'm out.

Abs

Established Member
General said:
Agree with Quincy. We have dished our fair share of thrashings but you can expect us to concede a sloppy goal along the way. I just cannot see this Arsenal team (fully fit if you like) getting out there when the pressure is on and trashing an inherently aggressive team like Stoke 7-0. In this regard, we are definitely a level below Chelsea. This may be hard for some of you to swallow but there is plenty of evidence out there to back the point. This is not to say that the chavs and mancs don’t have their flaws either because they do but after 36 games, it is not difficult to see that they have a bit more professional than us, amongst the few other things they do better than us.

They are slighty ahead of us as the table is showing, its only the last 2 games the gap has widend.....but we have run them close this season and with few additions there's no reason why we cant be even better next season.

The Mancs have as much problems as we do, Rooneys amazing season have covered for alot of their weakness.....and they are a team on the down I feel. Its fair to say Chelsea is the strongest team in the league right now.

otfgoon

Established Member
Zico said:
And I have also praised Wenger and his team in recent weeks for what is overall a good, but not great, campaign. You can look up my posts for confirmation.

I like to think of myself as being fair and objective. I like Arsenal, but I also like football in general and when even vile characters like Ferguson, Mourinho or Bellamy excel, I will praise them.

Of course you can praise them, but it's always followed by a dig about how poor we are. Your comment in the Rodallega thread sums up when I mean.

Oh, and I'm sure most people think they're being fair an objective, I see myself like that but I'm sure some here see me as a deluded fool :mrgreen:

I will give you that we have looked good at points this season, but typically only when we have a full-team, save the Porto home game and 20 minutes of the Villa game (when RvP was out). Otherwise, we are typically not a clinical, fluid machine on both offense and defense. I'm out.

Indeed, I've not argued against this.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
Abs said:
General said:

They are slighty ahead of us as the table is showing, its only the last 2 games the gap has widend.....but we have run them close this season and with few additions there's no reason why we cant be even better next season.

The Mancs have as much problems as we do, Rooneys amazing season have covered for alot of their weakness.....and they are a team on the down I feel. Its fair to say Chelsea is the strongest team in the league right now.
Chelsea is definitely the strongest team, but we might not be far behind.

Granted it was again our lack of quality depth that killed us, but full team wise we are not that far off. We were scoring for fun at the start, RVP injury killed us and ultimately our season.

Feanor

Established Member
Can we close this thread? Our race is obviously over...wait, did we win or lose our race? I say we lost.

qs

Established Member
Feanor said:
Can we close this thread? Our race is obviously over...wait, did we win or lose our race? I say we lost.

We lost the race for 4th by finishing 3rd :wink:

Feanor

Established Member
qs said:
Feanor said:

We lost the race for 4th by finishing 3rd :wink:

4th was meant to be Wenger's 4th EPL title so we definitely lost...hold on, this our race we're talking about, not for 4th...so did we win or lose our race?

OohtobeaGoonerGal

Established Member
Since we conceived this thread to be about the title race, finishing third will mean in a way we get a bronze medal... it's like 100m or so races, the gold medallist will get all the praise, etc. and the runner-ups get some form of attention.. but that's about it.

Lord Dula

Established Member
OohtobeaGoonerGal said:
Since we conceived this thread to be about the title race, finishing third will mean in a way we get a bronze medal... it's like 100m or so races, the gold medallist will get all the praise, etc. and the runner-ups get some form of attention.. but that's about it.

you know spring is in the air when oh talks about conception and we've limped out the title race

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

My first ever football memory was Charlie George's double winning goal in 71. After that game; I just became an Arsenal fan.

Paul Davis
Top Bottom