• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Emi Buendia

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjamin86

Established Member
How can we afford him?

Surely Norwich will be secure after just getting promotion, doesn't feel like an Arsenal signing in that sense.
The Norwich sporting director said - “It might be the end of the journey for some of them, it might be a club comes in that is off the scale. One of them may go, maybe two or all three of them will go, who knows – but the facts are that this team isn’t about one or two players,”

It's also in their model to sell a player or 2 early in the window to fund the rest of what they want to do. If we don't sign Buendia before mid July I don't think it'll happen.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I wonder if the reason Buendia isn't the absolute no.1 choice on the list is his behavioural issues? Guy picks up red cards, has a temper on him, does a guy like Arteta hesitate spending 40m on a main creator who he doesn't trust to keep control? Arteta loves control.

blrgooner

Established Member
I find it funny when Ødegaard is considered a better prospect. Based on what exactly. He will cost slightly more than Buendia and what are you getting?

He has an eye for a pass, can't run away from players, incredibly 1 footed, doesn't win 50/50s, runs hard but isn't fast and doesn't exactly put up amazing numbers. He has literally disappeared in games and he annoyingly sits in the right half space where I would rather see Pepe or Saka drive into.

Buendia in his first season in England had 7 assists. He should have easily had over 10 but Norwich couldn't finish for ****. He was laying it on a plate consistently. He also got into goal scoring positions and didn't finish.

This season he has 15 goals and 15 assists. He is ready for the Premier League. He will make the step up. I don't see how we should he going for Aouar, someone who has dropped off massively this season or Ødegaard over someone like Buendia who is too footed and two way.
Well based on his actual performances in an Arsenal shirt in an Arsenal system which for me has more value than performances in other teams.
Also based on technical ability, first touch, eye for the pass, also, he actualy can run away from players etc etc.
Also, regarding numbers, one would think if we consider only historical numbers, a team consisting of Auba,Laca and Pepe should definitely be scoring for fun in EPL. In reality though, thats not how it works. you can`t just add players who have good numbers and expect numbers to get realized. I would much rather trust my eyes and my eyes saw what Ødegaard brought into this team. Just the fact that players were passing the ball to him when we was under pressure and he was able to hold on to it made a big difference in our system IMO.
Again nothing against Buendia though. Buendia is also an interesting player with the set of attributes which could be useful for us. We tend to look selectively at poor performances of Ødegaard and compare it with highlights of Buendia to prove a point here though and I don`t think that`s useful.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Well based on his actual performances in an Arsenal shirt in an Arsenal system which for me has more value than performances in other teams.
Also based on technical ability, first touch, eye for the pass, also, he actualy can run away from players etc etc.
Also, regarding numbers, one would think if we consider only historical numbers, a team consisting of Auba,Laca and Pepe should definitely be scoring for fun in EPL. In reality though, thats not how it works. you can`t just add players who have good numbers and expect numbers to get realized. I would much rather trust my eyes and my eyes saw what Ødegaard brought into this team. Just the fact that players were passing the ball to him when we was under pressure and he was able to hold on to it made a big difference in our system IMO.
Again nothing against Buendia though. Buendia is also an interesting player with the set of attributes which could be useful for us. We tend to look selectively at poor performances of Ødegaard and compare it with highlights of Buendia to prove a point here though and I don`t think that`s useful.

We're at the beginning of the summer now so it's not the time for this, it'll probably come later, but the truth is that neither Ødegaard, Buendia or Aouar are likely to move the needle so much that they drag us to top 4. They can improve us for sure, but I don't think they alone make a clear difference next season, it'd be a more long-term thing. A guy like Grealish is a different story, he could be a needle-mover, but that ain't happening.

The level of players we're talking about, I think optimistically they're players that can get us to like 5th, to the door of top 4, and then you'd need to add yet more quality the following season to actually break into it. But hey, it's a process 👀

blrgooner

Established Member
We're at the beginning of the summer now so it's not the time for this, it'll probably come later, but the truth is that neither Ødegaard, Buendia or Aouar are likely to move the needle so much that they drag us to top 4. They can improve us for sure, but I don't think they alone make a clear difference next season, it'd be a more long-term thing. A guy like Grealish is a different story, he could be a needle-mover, but that ain't happening.

The level of players we're talking about, I think optimistically they're players that can get us to like 5th, to the door of top 4, and then you'd need to add yet more quality the following season to actually break into it. But hey, it's a process 👀
Yep I agree. Grealish would be a different level to all these guys but unfortunately, as you mentioned, we are not getting Grealish.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

That's the thing. I've seen enough of Ødegaard to rate his quality but I've also seen enough to know he won't be the needle-mover you mention.

Buendia could be our Santi, but I only say that because he hasn't played us. Gambling on us making that Bruno Fernandes type signing.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
That's the thing. I've seen enough of Ødegaard to rate his quality but I've also seen enough to know he won't be the needle-mover you mention.

Buendia could be our Santi, but I only say that because he hasn't played us. Gambling on us making that Bruno Fernandes type signing.

Honestly right now we're just a team without a star player. Football is complicated, but it's also really simple. Like who's the guy we'd put on a poster to sell shirts in America...Auba? It's weak tea.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Honestly right now we're just a team without a star player. Football is complicated, but it's also really simple. Like who's the guy we'd put on a poster to sell shirts in America...Auba? It's weak tea.
Yeah like I hope that guy is Pepe but I don't think we are that team. Auba/Pepe would probably be our star players if we were creating chances, similar to how Salah is Liverpool's star based on the supply of chances he gets.

Seems like we need a star player in midfield to activate two other potential start players upfront. Hate to bring the cliches up but the right AM actually takes this team up a level, i'm like 99% sure on that. It's why I'd actually pay 80M for Grealish. We're talking the difference between 8th and 4th, notwithstanding Arteta.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.

I'm going to keep banging on about this, but we have one of the best goalscorers in Europe and just gave him a massive deal. Team should be built around getting him and Pepe on the end of chances and not so much on the build up.

Arteta needs to learn that there are more letters in the alphabet other than U.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
It wasn’t obvious last summer
It kinda was, though.

This forum made Thomas into something he wasn't, when the logical decision was to go for a better value in his position and solve the massive problem of not having a 10 / enough creative power in the team.

Ted Knutson pointed out that Thomas wasn't really the profile of a £45m signing at his age either. I was trying to tell people that the depictions of Thomas as the perfect midfielder, as some kind of Vieira, were caricaturesque. But that was not something anyone wanted to hear on this forum.

The problem is, on this forum, where you can tell 99% had just watched Thomas maybe against Liverpool and on YouTube, made him out to be something he never was, which those of us who watched Atlético know he isn't. And that's from someone who rates him and thinks he's one of the better DMs in the game (key word, DM-- he is never a b2b as he was made out).

But for efficient business, or moving toward a moneyball model, he was basically the opposite kind of play that you'd be looking for.

As I stated last summer over and over, the difference between Thomas and Danilo / Kamara and between getting a 10 and not having one was FAR, FAR greater on the latter end. This is something an effective sporting director really should've identified easily.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
I'm going to keep banging on about this, but we have one of the best goalscorers in Europe and just gave him a massive deal. Team should be built around getting him and Pepe on the end of chances and not so much on the build up.

I'm a bit confused by this...how else do you get Auba and Pepe on the end of chances than with good build up? ie, the way to do this is to improve our build-up (which is severely lacking)...

Auba's best season under Tuchel he was in very much a build-up, possession style...Auba can only benefit from a team that is better on advancing the ball into dangerous areas, Pepe too, because they are most effective when they are receiving in or around the box.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

It kinda was, though.

This forum made Thomas into something he wasn't, when the logical decision was to go for a better value in his position and solve the massive problem of not having a 10 / enough creative power in the team.

Ted Knutson pointed out that Thomas wasn't really the profile of a £45m signing at his age either. I was trying to tell people that the depictions of Thomas as the perfect midfielder, as some kind of Vieira, were caricaturesque. But that was not something anyone wanted to hear on this forum.

The problem is, on this forum, where you can tell 99% had just watched Thomas maybe against Liverpool and on YouTube, made him out to be something he never was, which those of us who watched Atlético know he isn't. And that's from someone who rates him and thinks he's one of the better DMs in the game (key word, DM-- he is never a b2b as he was made out).

But for efficient business, or moving toward a moneyball model, he was basically the opposite kind of play that you'd be looking for.

As I stated last summer over and over, the difference between Thomas and Danilo / Kamara and between getting a 10 and not having one was FAR, FAR greater on the latter end. This is something an effective sporting director really should've identified easily.

I won’t read all this mate, probably poor posting anyway.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Like H, V and Y?

TimoJens

Formerly known as highbury_2006
Villa want to get their business done early so they are leading this race since we dont want to get our business done early.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Aston Villa also don't have problems spend big they already spent big money last 2 seasons so if we aren't serious or quick enough they might get him before us. as i said if he is in top of our list get him if not then move to other targets don't waste too much time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

When I first came to Arsenal, I realised the back four were all university graduates in the art of defending. As for Tony Adams, I consider him to be a doctor of defence. He is simply outstanding.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom