• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Emi Buendia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanfrothan

Financially we could probably afford that but surely he would turn us down and hold out for something better, depressing as that is.

We've got quite a way to go before we can compete with the big boys of this league in terms of attracting the league's top players.

KenyanGoon

No one underrated Henderson. He is clearly a top level PL midfielder. I simply made it clear that while Henderson has come good, he also looks better because he suits Klopp's desired system. Note the point. He suits Klopp's system not that the system was built around him. That may not have been the case if Rodgers had the opportunity to continue building his L'pool side. I used the England example to also highlight that he hasn't suddenly become a world leading midfielder though good he is.

It's also not an either or situation. I'm not against smart value signings like Tierney, Martinelli, Gabriel et al. If they are good enough, the fee matters little.

The point to use your example is that Liverpool did both.

They bought Alison, Van Dijk, Fabinho for huge fees. Don't forget that though they are squad players (Keita, Chamberlain et al cost a pretty penny). As well as finding value in the market with Robertson, Wijnaldum, Milner, Gomez, Mané, Firmino and Salah to some extent (although the latter three were all considered pricey at the time for where L'pool were).

We move on Lacazette (£20m), Nketiah (£20m), Guendouzi (£20m), Torreira (£20) and Chambers (£10m) this summer and that's basically Grealish's fee.

Spend our actual summer budget (let's say £100m) on bringing in a back-up GK and LB (£10m), RCB (£25m) and two midfielders (£65m). That's certainly doable.

I think its actually the opposite. Liverpool look better because of the 'invisible wall' that players like Henderson provide. He is the equivalent of Gilberto Silva in that unbeaten squad of 2003/2004. Not flashy, just does his bit but that allows the likes of Salah/Mane to attack with intensity and without fear because they know that behind them is a solid foundation.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
The sad thing is, we could probably get Grealish. English player record transfer (70m plus) and 200k a week and he signs.

Grealish isn't leaving Villa unless its for a steady CL club who has ambitions and title credentials. That won't be us.

He will likely move to City/United or Liverpool. Chelsea have a lot of players in that area.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Scored nice volly
He's carrying Norwich, I can't see them letting him go now. Promotion is worth more than any fee.
Yes not happening unless big offer coming if we spending 30m I'd rather for Brandt a guy who talented and play as number 10

Finesse

Since Eriksen seems to be going elsewhere, Buendia's the only other person who meets the criteria. Don't see Norwich agreeing to a loan with obligation.

These quotes from him don’t ring me with confidence anymore. Before or at the start I was. Not after the past few months. This should be Edu’s transfer window. Anything we do should have a an immediate impact to position us for the summer window. We should look into the PL or CL and pick up players who can fight for the team with hunger and not necessarily their reputation. The young boys are showing us that in very emphatic ways. Today we want to see Saka , ESR and Martinelli in the team before anyone else.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Get this man out of the Championship. Wheels come off Watford so Norwich might sneak it without him.

ArtetaCognition

Granit Xhaka Enthusiast

Grealish isn't leaving Villa unless its for a steady CL club who has ambitions and title credentials. That won't be us.

He will likely move to City/United or Liverpool. Chelsea have a lot of players in that area.

Agree with the premise of your tweet but I must have missed the part where United are a "steady CL team". Last I checked they've finished below us most seasons since Fergie and have been handily grouped or mere also-rans in their few voyages into the CL in that time.

GLITCH

These quotes from him don’t ring me with confidence anymore. Before or at the start I was. Not after the past few months. This should be Edu’s transfer window. Anything we do should have a an immediate impact to position us for the summer window. We should look into the PL or CL and pick up players who can fight for the team with hunger and not necessarily their reputation. The young boys are showing us that in very emphatic ways. Today we want to see Saka , ESR and Martinelli in the team before anyone else.
No player we sign is guaranteed to have an immediate impact, but we need reinforcements so Saka, ESR and Martinelli can be used sparingly. Still got the FA Cup and EL, so they'll get plenty of minutes.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Grealish is totally out of reach by now.
Last chance of getting him was probably at the start of the last window, need to improve a lot in order to get back into contention for such a big big player. Everyone is looking at him now.

Grealish+Buendia would probably bring us back into the group for title contenders though.
We just need massive signings in key areas and we'd be flying.

Last edited:

TornadoTed

Established Member
No player we sign is guaranteed to have an immediate impact, but we need reinforcements so Saka, ESR and Martinelli can be used sparingly. Still got the FA Cup and EL, so they'll get plenty of minutes.

I know they have been pretty poor this season but we do have Auba, Willian and Pepe to rotate in as well as Nelson. I wouldn't want to replace all of Saka/ESR/Martinelli but Auba came in last night and despite him being our poorest attacker we still played well for the most part.

I'm at the point where I don't want to add more players to our already bloated squad unless they are a real improvement, I'm not sure we can do that in January.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Agree with the premise of your tweet but I must have missed the part where United are a "steady CL team". Last I checked they've finished below us most seasons since Fergie and have been handily grouped or mere also-rans in their few voyages into the CL in that time.

They've qualified for the CL group phases 4 times out of 7 since Fergie quit from what I remember. 3 via league and 1 via EL. Despite chopping and changing managers. In their worst period they have basically played CL football every other year. In our worst period we haven't played it in 4 years and look no closer to playing in it either via the league or EL. You talk about also rans but nobody was a more also ran than us. United reached finals and won them. Lost them also too. But they've tasted success.

They finished 3rd last year and are firm favourites to finish in the top 4 again this year. Some may say its ridiculous but they are firmly in a title race this season.

With United you can be confident that even if they fail one year to qualify they will be there or there abouts the following year.

They are the 2nd biggest club in the world and players go there knowing there will be investment and a level of ambition to win things and to challenge.

I never ever heard Fergie, Van Gaal, Mourinho or Ole saying 4th was all United had to do to be successful. They may have said 4th was a step in the right direction but 4th was never they end game. Whereas it was for us. That mentality is seen by prospective players.

Last edited:

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Could maybe sign a Sabitzer or Nkunku. It all depends on our budget really. If we are confident about signing that calibre of player (40-60m bracket) as well as fixing defensive midfield and RCB then go for it.

However if signing Buendia is going to cost us a quality transfer at RCB, CM or CAM then our board should use their initiative and make the right call. Go for a loan for now and buy big in the summer.

What I would say though is we need to start stockpiling creative players. As it stands we only have ESR as a final third creator. Willian was meant to be that too but his performances have left us with only a 20 year old.
Nkunku apparently has a £27m release clause. Emery wanted him and Saha. Nkunku is CL proven too...

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Interesting. Seems like these sort of deals rarely actually happen...

Wouldn't be a bad move for either of Nelson or Willock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal was firmly embedded in the local community and had a very solid, working-class foundations. The fans espoused the club's values. This visceral attachment, from childhood, to a club and a team is something I have never seen anywhere else with such fervour. Every fan's first match at Highbury was like a baptism.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom